Windows Mobile O/S on the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 10, 2007
Is it possible to install the Windows Mobile operating system on the iPhone? Because there is thousands of software for windows mobile already, like msn/windows live messenger,ms word,powerpoint etc.

I wonder if a programmar could make the iPhone Dual boot. So when you turn on the iPhone, you can choose the Mac OS the iPhone uses OR you can choose the Windows Mobile operating system.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Even if somebody did do it, honestly, why would you even want to?

I'm sure some of whatever you wantnfrom Windows will come in the SDK. Be patient. Only two more months.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm a long-time Windows Mobile user before iPhone, and still own a Dell Axim and an HTC TyTn - but really once you've spent a while with the iPhone, it's a bit like slow torture using a WM device.
Maybe another way round this would be to look at VNC / remote desktop sort of solutions for getting access to some of those apps that are missing on the iPhone itself?
Even when the SDK comes out, you can't match the 18,000 apps out there for WM straight away of course - but between the existing iPhone development community, and the large number of Windows Mobile software companies and developers who are super-keen to get onto the iPhone platform, I do think things should move very quickly. As long as Apple is not stupid about how easy / hard it is to get their 'certification' or whatever it ends up being called for iPhone apps ...

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Sell the iPhone and get a Treo or whatever you are looking for.

I am by no means an iPhone/Apple fanboy but it seems pretty silly to want to run windows mobile on an iPhone.

If you want msn messenger jailbreak the thing and install apollo IM

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
iPhone and a Win Mobile phones are like Apples (forgive the pun) and oranges. They are both fruit but you definitely can't turn one into the other.

As to IM, I don't know what all the options are. but I use the Web based version of Yahoo IM when I want to contact my IM buddies from the iPhone -- no jailbreaking needed. See if there is a Web interface that works for your favorite IM.

It almost sounds like you need a data plan and card with a Windows lappy. As least I know I can't do serious word processing, etc., on a palmtop or phone.