Windows "Mojave" Experiment

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I just saw the Windows "Mojave" Experiment commercial for the first time. It's where Microsoft took a bunch of people, let them test "Mojave" and it ended up being Vista. Most people have heard that Vista is Horrible, but not actually used it. The commercial was stupid, it doesn't even seem to have any affect to make someone go on the website and look at Vista for themselves.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ah, so big brother is reduced to guerrilla tactics...

btw, here's a video.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What they did was was exclude the parts of Vista that are problematic from the "experiment". That would be booting, connecting to printers, etc, etc. These people just browsed the internet or sent an email.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ya know, Linc, I used to go around bashing Vista too. It was fun for a while. But then I realized I've never really used it, and people that actually have kept telling me it's gotten a lot better since initial release. To the point that they actually do like it better than XP

So, have you used it recently? On more than one person's system? Just saying....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
As a former PC Support person who still has a lot of friends in the biz, I can tell you that from a Techie standpoint, all of them love Vista as a personal PC- but they are all techs. In other words, they know how to manuver around PC's in general better than the average user. It's the difference between the average, spoon-fed AOL internet user, and someone who hooked up their own Wireless Broadband connection.
As a corporate OS, none of my friends would touch Vista. It's security is so strong and complicated, it's very difficult to grant permissions- even to other MS products.
And most of them agree that all Vista is, is MS's attempt at stealing a little more of the Apple Market. Very similar logos, layouts, etc., it's fairly obvious it's a Leopard wannabe.
And When Vista was first released, besides having new features and security, and such, it was buggy as hell, which is why companies like Dell decided to continue offering XP Pro, and still do.

For me, when it comes time to get a new PC, I have to say that I will seriously be looking at a Mac, if for nothing more than to avoid getting Vista.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, I have used Vista recently. I installed it is a virtual machine, and deleted the VM after three days. It has gotten better since the initial launch, but it's still unstable as hell.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
i had vista since it launched. got it when i bought my laptop. it has totally turned me away from windows. my next computer will definitely be a mac

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Mac OS X
Leopard sucks
windows xp sucks
vista sucks
they all suck.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I personally like vista and use it everyday. It has actually made my work easier as a programmar.

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
i just wished they included an XP interface'ish...

that was the biggest shock for me, as an IT person.

Yes, I have used Vista recently. I installed it is a virtual machine, and deleted the VM after three days. It has gotten better since the initial launch, but it's still unstable as hell.
I just don't find this to be the case. I am a PC user since '82, and a tech in the industry. I currently use a MacBook Pro for my main system. However, I have a Dell system that runs my Weather Station along with Apache, mySQL and a ton of real-time apps that convert 1-minute photos to video every 3 hours. Its uptime surpasses even my MacBook Pro. I don't touch that system for weeks sometimes.

Vista isn't for everyone, and as a Enterprise desktop it probably isn't the best choice. But it surpasses XP in terms of security and stability hands down. By he way, I also run it in a VMWare session and it is also stable and reliable in that envoronment.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, running a computer with vista as its main OS is totally different than using Vista as a virtual machine. Even so, my Vista VM hasn't given me any problems so far.