Windows recognizes iPhone 3G, not iPhone 4

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 27, 2012
Hi members,

as you can read in the title, my computer (running Windows7) doens't recognize my iPhone 4 at all, but syncing my old iPhone 3G isn't a problem.
My iPhone 4 has iOS 5.0.1 on it, my 3G 4.2.1.

Someone got a solution? I'm getting desperate over here!

Thank you

Jan 27, 2012
That didn't solve the problem.

My brother's iPhone 4 has no trouble connecting to the same computer.

Charging my iPhone via the socket is no problem though..

Will replacing the dockconnector of the phone fix the problem?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
That didn't solve the problem.

My brother's iPhone 4 has no trouble connecting to the same computer.

Charging my iPhone via the socket is no problem though..

Will replacing the dockconnector of the phone fix the problem?
Charging doesn't use all the pins in the connector, so perhaps a couple key pins are not functioning. Have you tried another computer? Another USB port? If it's not recognized on another computer, you should bring it to Apple.

Jan 27, 2012
Charging doesn't use all the pins in the connector, so perhaps a couple key pins are not functioning. Have you tried another computer? Another USB port? If it's not recognized on another computer, you should bring it to Apple.
I have tried 5 different computers.

Only on one of them, the iPhone connected completely like it should (recognized by Windows and iTunes etc.).
On another one, only on one specific usb-port, the iPhone charged, and was recognized as a camera by Windows, but wasn't recognized by iTunes.
The other computers all three displayed: Unknown Device.

I have a friend who can replace the dockconnector, I hope it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the useful information!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
You seem set on replacing the dock connector, seen you mention it a few times... You mention you have a friend who can replace it, so of it isn't too cost prohibitive, have them replace it and see if it works.
Happen to have an Apple store nearby? You could have them check it for you. They will run diagnostics and may be able to pinpoint what it is.

Jan 27, 2012
I only have an Apple Premium Reseller nearby, do you think they could help me?

I only want to replace the connector if I truly know it is the solution (since it'll cost me money and since I'd rather leave the phone's inside as it is).