Windows recognizes iPhone as a digital camera

1. EZBEAT

EZBEAT New Member

Hi.!

Please I need Help. My iPhone 1gen, 8gb, Version 1.1.4 (4A102) jailbreaked, is not recognized on my Windows XP SP3. Windows detects it as a Digital Still Camera. I tried Driver update and nothing my driver usbaapl.sys its on the system 32 folder and yet nothing. My iTunes does not recognizes it and send an error (-1450) with my library. I reinstalled iTunes and nothing. I plugged in my iPod nano 1gen 4gb and it does work perfect. I read somewhere that I need to disable the Digital Still Camera program but I really don't know how to do that... can somebody help please?!:oops:

2. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

Well windows always recognizes the iPhone as a digital camera unless you change it (you don't need to though). I don't know what to tell you if iTunes isn't recognizing it though...

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Connect you phone, go into My Computer, Right-click on your phone and select properties. Click the events tab and then select "Take No Action". But it shouldn't affect your iTunes. If your phone is not recognized, then either Mobile Device Helper is not running or is corrupt. uninstall from Add/Remove programs and reinstall iTunes and you should be good to go.
    Another quick check is to go into the control panel, Admin Tools, and services and see if Apple Mobile Device is running. If not right click it, go into properties and make sure it's set to automatic and then start it.
    also, you might want to look in the device Manager under USB and see if there is any ports that might be erroring.

5. EZBEAT

EZBEAT New Member

UFFF....

I DID THE "TAKE NO ACTION", I HAVE NO "MOBILE DEVICE HELPER" ON ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS I HAVE APPLE MOBILE DEVICE SUPPORT AND I UNINSTALLED IT, ALONG WITH iTunes, QUICKTIME AND APPLE SOFTWARE UPDATE AND RESTARTED MY COMPUTER SO I COULD REINSTALL THEM. iTunes IS 8.0.2.20 AND THE APPLE MOBILE DEVICE IS RUNNING AND SET TO AUTOMATIC. NO USB ERRORS.

ON COMPUTER MANAGEMENT-IMAGING DEVICES-APPLE iphone-PROPERTIES-DRIVER DETAILS, I HAVE USBSCAN.SYS _AND_ PTPUSB.DLL
    ON COMPUTER MANAGEMENT-UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS-APPLE MOBILE DEVICE USB DRIVER-PROPERTIES-DRIVER DETAILS, I HAVE USBAAPL.SYS

iTunes STILL DOES NOT RECOGNIZES MY iPhone

FIRST OF IT MADE AN ATTEMPT AND SEND ME AN ERROR WICH SAID
    SOMETHNG WITH THE PASSCODE ON MY PHONE. THEM Y TURNED OFF THE PASSCODE AND iTunes HAD NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER WITH THE iPhone. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS HERE IF SOMEONE HAS ANYTHING ELSE I'D REALLY APRECCIATED THE HELP:(:oops:

6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Make an appointment with Apple.

7. Skol312000

Skol312000 New Member

Reboot windows, make sure you got "aplle mobile device" started on the processes

8. EZBEAT

EZBEAT New Member

wow this is worst than i'd imagine. I called Apple and they told me I had to restore my iPhone to factory settings which I tried later on and iTunes won;t let me it say "problem downloading iPhone software error 3254" and this is really a turnoff on this device...

9. colmtroy

colmtroy New Member

Hi ezbeat - i currently have the exact same problem as you - did u ever get this resolved?

10. Woofus

Woofus Member
    Bronze

Does your PC have USB 2.0 ports? Is it an older computer, maybe?

Check out this article, it gives a bunch of hints and tips....

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1495

Good luck to both of you. :)

11. panzeriti

panzeriti New Member
    Bronze

Time for a Blackberry Storm! LOL

12. rslygh

rslygh New Member

Possible fix?

Not sure if you ever got this resolved, but I just had a user with the same type of problem and was able to fix it. Since yours is a jailbroken phone I'm not sure if that is causing your problem since the one I was able to fix is a legit AT&T phone, but it might be worth a try since it's not listed here. I just posted a blog entry for this too in case anyone is interested, you can find it here: http://techierambles.blogspot.com/2009/06/iphone-wont-work-in-itunes-on-windows.html.

Connect the phone to the computer, then go into Device Manager. Go down and expand USB Controllers, then right-click on Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and choose Update Driver. Select to install automatically, then let it do its thing.

The setup this worked for was an iPhone 3G (AT&T), iTunes 8.2, and XP Pro SP3. Until I did this, the iPhone kept showing up as just a digital camera, and iTunes would give an error saying it found an iPhone but wasn't able to recognize it correctly. That went away as soon as the driver was updated. Good luck!

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

The iPhone is always going to show as a digital camera, because part of it IS one. I already listed the pre-3.0 and iTunes 8.2 fix on the first page.

Plus it showing as a camera is going to be one if the ways 3Gs users are going to be able to download any video they record.

14. rslygh

rslygh New Member

I understand that an iPhone is recognized as a camera. I don't see the solution I provided on the first page though, and what I posted is what solved the issue for the user I dealt with so I wanted to add it to the mix. It was a iPhone 3G 16GB running 3.0, and updating the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver was the only thing I found to work. All the services were running correctly, reinstalling iTunes 8.2 made no difference, and I didn't find the suggestion I gave on any forums (found suggestions for updating the camera driver, but not the Apple USB device driver)

15. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Those instructions will stop a PC from detecting the iPhone as a camera and asking for an action on how to get the images.

16. Linlin

Linlin New Member

iTunes Win. not recognizing iPhone 3G

I'm experiencing the same problem as EZ, but only since installing 3.0 will iTunes not recognize my iPhone 3G. Here's what I've tried 3 or 4 times (all of Hawk's suggestions and then some!):
    * Uninstalling iTunes, Mobileme, Bonjour, and everything Apple from my laptop. Emptying bin, and even defragging...
    * Updating Windows Driver - both automatically & by manually listing the directory with usbaapl.sys
    * Resetting Apple Mobile Device
    * Trying different usb ports and cables
    * Setting Windows to "take no action"
    * Rebooting after trying all of these steps in different combinations.

The best response I've gotten from iTunes has been: "An iPhone has been detected but could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone, then try again."

What irks me is that on my first try, iTunes did recognize my iPhone and loaded my contacts. Then I got the msg. suggesting I install 3.0, and have been stuck ever since.
    Unless anyone suggests otherwise, my next step will be to figure out how to switch back to factory settings - wondering if I can do this or if I have to take it back to the store. :sneaky:

17. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Linlin, there is another file you need for the PC.... Let me look and I'll tell you what it is

18. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

You need both of these files active. Close iTunes, find them, rename the extension to .123 and reboot and then launch iTunes and then reconnect your phone and iTunes should find your phone and reinstall everything again. If it doesn't reinstall iTunes again and you should be ok.

Apple Driver files.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014