Windows Server 2008 vs Mac OSX Server

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 12, 2009
Hey whats up guys, i have something to discuss here, im about to be promoted in my internship at my college, to a paid internship, which will be a job lol, but here's the thing, i want the college to be the best that it can, and for this it needs the right software...

ive only worked with windows server 2008, 2003, and windows server 2008 core,(not much)...

Windows 08 is meant for businesss, its roles like DHCP, DNS, IIS, Active Directory, Hyper-V, Windows Deployment Services, Remote Desktop Services, and more...make it the best OS for businesss ever,

not to forget the really high level features, like fail over clustering and load balacing...

but, ive never tried Mac OSX server, cause in the I.T businesss, it doesn't seem very well adapted at all, but, if anyone has used this, please tell me how it works, i want to be able to tell my director, my promotion is on monday :D

Jun 12, 2009
ive never used Linux Server, im sticking with Windows Serer 08 for now, as im in my network infrastructre class, an thats ''the most efficient OS out there'', thats why we are using them, but i want to get to know them all, also the most productive one to, i simply love server 08, but still, i must see the options..

Jun 12, 2009
and BTW, for those of you who don't know what sever Core is, this is for REAL I.T's....

this is a picture of the desktop

thats right, server core is only a command line, and thats it...literally..

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well if you don't know UNIX commands then you'll be stuck because I'm sure its much the same (only terminal). Does Windows even come with ssh or ftp? How do you even do stuff with the default command line? lol

PS if you think that desktop is crazy check out one of the low level distros of Linux such as Debian or Red Hat.

Jun 12, 2009
lol, unix and server core are different, but not that much, like unix has the WHOIS command, while server core doesn't, and like, for example, what happens if in server core you want to get an image, well, you can do that, with the WAIK(windows automated installation kit), and the imagex, its all with knowledge

i think to get an image from a share, the syntax is

"imagex /apply g:\images\server.wim(windows image, this is created with the WAIK) c:\"

i made up that path lol...

or what happens if you want to change the ip in your server core ?

well, first you need to identify which connection is the local area connection, so you will type this

"netsh interface ipv4 show interface"

this command will seek which connections are active, if the internet connection is 2(it can be any number), which in windows by default is the local area connection, to change it to static, it will be

"netsh interface ipv4 set address name="2"(or you can write"local area connection") static "192.168.1.240" "255.255.255.0" "192.168.1.10" (its the static ip first, then the subnet mask, and then the gatway"

or how about a simple command, to change the computer name lol

it will be

"netdom renamecomputer "the computer name" /newname: "the new computer name"

i think its very different from unix, lol, but ive never played around with unix, but anyway, what about Apple OSX server ?

Jun 12, 2009
well, this thread is already dead, but i just wanted to say that i got the promotion, im on work study now :D, which is a paid internship...yayyy, mods, do as you wish with this thread...

Jun 12, 2009
thanks guys, thats why i was off the forum for a lately, is that i was very busy with this thing, but i finally got it, i start monday :)...

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I really have to agree with styfle on this. Unix is the way to go as far servers are concerned. For this reason I would tell you OS X server is better than it's windows counterpart.

Whatever server you are trying to run (SSH, FTP, SFTP, AFP, Web Dav, Apache) is fairly straight forward with Linux. Right now I have Ubuntu 9.10 (the most recent) and I just have a little tiny fit pc 2 (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/) and it is really cool. Before that I ran a full server off of a 400mhz, roughly 10 year old computer. The only reason I got the fitpc was for the physical space and the energy savings.

Also, the tech support you get from the ubuntu forums, combined with the live help in the IRC channel, is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than ANY kind of tech support of gotten, for computer or otherwise.

If you wanna have some fun just buy some old computer (craigslist or even some thrift stores) and slap on ubuntu server. SSH is awesome.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I don't know the exact statistic but about 85% of the internet is hosted on unix/linux servers. I can't even think of a popular host that uses windows for their servers. Godaddy, Lunar Pages, Dream Host, etc all use Linux.

So what we're trying to tell is you screw Windows...
Ok maybe thats just me.

Jun 12, 2009
FTP ?, SSH ?, does are little roles that to me, don't mean nothing,

Can ubuntu work as a DHCP server ?, to hand out IP's to its clients ? does ubuntu has active directory, for you to create your user all from one centralized location, as log in with that user from anywhere in the world as long as that computer is joined to the domain ? or how about set up your own DNS server and create your own zones ?,

and one of my favorites

does ubuntu works as a SUS ?(servers update services), which is making the clients on your network, go to your server, instead of going to microsoft to get there updates ?

will a really high power businesss buy ubuntu ?, i don't think that meets there requirements, how about go for the server 2008 HPC, which can supports 1,000's of physical processors, and like 2TB of ram,

and im only just scratching the surface with the possibilities that you can do with server 2008...

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Honestly, I'm really not sure about businesss-sized servers, but as styfle said 85% of the internet is served via Linux, so I'd imagine there must AT LEAST a few very large businessses that run servers off of Linux.

Also, I have a feeling that you went through Windows certification program. It's no surprise that they will tell you windows server 2008 is the best. I don't know if I would accept "it's the most efficient OS" as a sufficient answer to Windows Server 2008 being a better server OS.

I'm about 99% sure ubuntu can work as a DHCP server. I'm not exactly sure what DHCP is specifically but it's kind of a way a computer (router) takes in 1 IP and then splits it up so many computers can be on the same network and have independent addresses. I mean, it's essentially what a home router does right? Maybe on a grander scale? You can CERTAINLY turn any ubuntu machine into a server no problem.

As far as "log in with that user from anywhere in the world" this is EXACTLY what linux exceeds at. I can do ANTYHING on my home server from my iPhone that I can do actually sitting at the keyboard of the server. It's also VERY secure using SSH.

I really can't speak to the other questions you raised, but, if you are truly interested in finding out about windows server 2008, post this question on ubuntuforums.org. They will answer all your questions. If you do post up on there, please provide a link. I'm curious to their responses.

Anyway, good luck with your job, network administration sounds like fun.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah I don't know too much about the network admin stuff but I know my work is switching a lot of the servers from Windows to Linux. The only time I actually set up a server is for a web server and since Linux comes with FTP and SSH out of the box, its pretty straight forward. Windows doesn't, but again, I have no idea how to do what you're doing with your servers. Maybe you should ask on the ubuntu forums. Those guys know a lot http://ubuntuforums.org/

Linux should be able to do everything Windows can unless its running a specific software.

Jun 12, 2009
Honestly, I'm really not sure about businesss-sized servers, but as styfle said 85% of the internet is served via Linux, so I'd imagine there must AT LEAST a few very large businessses that run servers off of Linux.

Also, I have a feeling that you went through Windows certification program. It's no surprise that they will tell you windows server 2008 is the best. I don't know if I would accept "it's the most efficient OS" as a sufficient answer to Windows Server 2008 being a better server OS.

I'm about 99% sure ubuntu can work as a DHCP server. I'm not exactly sure what DHCP is specifically but it's kind of a way a computer (router) takes in 1 IP and then splits it up so many computers can be on the same network and have independent addresses. I mean, it's essentially what a home router does right? Maybe on a grander scale? You can CERTAINLY turn any ubuntu machine into a server no problem.

As far as "log in with that user from anywhere in the world" this is EXACTLY what linux exceeds at. I can do ANTYHING on my home server from my iPhone that I can do actually sitting at the keyboard of the server. It's also VERY secure using SSH.

I really can't speak to the other questions you raised, but, if you are truly interested in finding out about windows server 2008, post this question on ubuntuforums.org. They will answer all your questions. If you do post up on there, please provide a link. I'm curious to their responses.

Anyway, good luck with your job, network administration sounds like fun.
ok I'll check out the ubuntuforums, but just let me clear somethig up

what I mean by loggin in with a user to any computer, I don't mean the administrator account...

If you have a 100 employees, an 100 computers, will you have to create 100 accounts for each user ? Yes, will you have to touch the 100 computers ? No, active directory provides centralized database administration, when I create those 100 users, I can go to any of the 100 computers, and log in with which ever account you want, as long as that computer is part of my domain, and making a computer part of your domainis is as easy as changing the name of the computer itself..

So after I create the users, all I have to do is give the user name and password to the users and it's all set to go, this is real businesss right here

and no, I did not take any windows certification, nor do I think that server 2008 is the best,

and btw, DHCP stands for dynaminc host configuration protocol, it hands out ips to client...now, does ubuntu support DHCPv6 ?