Windows TellMe vs. Siri

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you think that Siri is in beta, watch this video that shows Microsoft's TellMe (their voice recognition software) compared to Siri.

Last edited by a moderator:

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Very nice. Never realized how difficult voice recognition was. Obviously Microsoft's back end is still in alpha.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You have to also realize that MS hasn't taken accents into account. Their version is only for people with non-regional diction. That being said, it shows you how little they think about things when implementing them. This is why things like Vista and Win ME were so crappy. No forethought, just a lot of hindsight. This is why MS has been losing ground for a while now. You can't keep making every other version of your product decent, based on the complaints of the version before it.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I don't hold it against MS too much. As I understand it Google did that free 411 service to develop their voice recognition tech and Nuance also has a huge history. I assume it really takes this kind of live and long term development with real voices to get this type of tech to a good level of accuracy.

I do like the interactive nature of Siri where it sensibly continues to prompt you without you needing to click anything. I think some 3rd party devs have or are working towards a similar function in Android. This is a very smart evolution to the next level. :)

Oct 3, 2009
relax, mitchell.
There's voice recognition, then there's Siri. Do your homework.
Benny is right. Siri isn't really 'voice recognition'. It is A.I.
AI? Hardly. Although somewhat cool and a little useful....It's capabilities are less than what was available 8 months or more ago on Android. I understand that those that have not used a current, top end Android might not get that though. Make an appointment?...sure....cancel one?....well no, can't do that. Set an alarm?....sure no problem...cancel one?....well no.

But it knows how much wood a woodchuck could chuck.