Windows User Switching To A MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Syamil, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

It's been a while since I've posted anything on iCafe. I've ventured to other "Apple" fansites, but iCafe is where I call home. The community here is different. :) On to the main story.

I've decided to get a MBP, as I wanted to try a different OS. I've been searching for a good deal on a MBP, I've been combing through the refurbs on the Apple site, and searching through different websites such as gumtree.com for second-hand MBPs. I try to save as much as possible in buying a new laptop, as I'm also saving to buy a DJ Turntable set, they cost as much or more than a entry-level MB.

I wanna know, how different is Mac OS from Windows? I've been experimenting with the Mac's interface by going to the Apple Store in the local malls. but it's really different from that of Windows.
    Apple's MacBooks and iMacs usability level are very different from the usability of the smaller iDevices, such as the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Please help, as I need to replace my current Windows laptop soon. It's not mine, it's my late brother's- he recently passed of 30th Sep 2011 due to a motor accident. I wanna get a replacement as his laptop, which I'm currently using, has been showing it's age. I also want to preserve his laptop as memory. - he's damn proud of it as he got it way below the selling price.

I also apologize for the long post.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Back in December of 2010 I ditched my XP machine and got a 15" MBP. Since then I've upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion and to be honest I can't remember anything about windows, lol. I will say that, for me, the transition was very smooth. Since you apparently have easy access to an Apple store I recommend doing what I did and pay $100 for a year of One To One training. In my first session I learned how to do all the basic OS things I was accustomed to with Windows and from there scheduled more specialized app specific sessions. Well worth the money if you have an Apple store or two handy like I do. Make sure and ask if rufurb purchases qualify and remember you have to purchase One To One when you purchase your Mac.

I haven't experienced Windows since XP but I can't say enough about OS X Lion and how smooth it is, especially with the new track pad gestures. Sorry I'm not more specific about Windows vs OS X but I can almost guarantee you won't regret switching. And if you don't go with the One To One package, there are plenty of online resources to guide you in your journey.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple also has great online resources for helping you get used to the new OS.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Or you can do what I did with my new Mac. Partition the hard drive with Boot Camp and install Windows on the partition. That way you can use either or both while transitioning. I think Apple makes the best hardware, but I have to admit that I am still not sold on Mac OS.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Really? I couldn't be happier with the switch to OS X. What don't you like about it?

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Maybe its just because I am on old(er) dog. :D
    I have been on Windows too long and everything is second nature to me. I have to think too much when on OS X! I should have done what Kadelic suggested, and I still may.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Gotcha. I taught myself for the most part, but I have some great resources. I have one brother who is a programmar and another who is self-employed as a graphic artist in Alaska - both are brilliant with OS X. Whenever I had a problem or couldn't figure something out, I just called one of them.

8. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

I had to learn Mac in college along with several other OS and I liked Mac but the little issue of Apple not letting their OS on PCs I wish I had the machines they had in college, plug in harddrives. We just shutdown and slid out the harddrive box out and put in another with the OS we was workin with. I don't remember what they were but it was cool, but for Mac we had to go in a different room and get on the Apple computers one teacher was a Macintosh addict and all his tests had to be loaded in Mac OS and answered, saved and the floppy given to him at the end of class. Course Mac loads so fast.....I think you will love it if you just sit down and play on it for a few hours. I too am looking into a Macbook eBay has some older referbs at reasonable prices and even decent used ones with Mac X Jag installed around 200 to 300 but you may want a duo or quad core processor. Nothing I do really requires that much of a processor unless iTunes requires it lol I didn't check the specs when I downloaded it just know it boggs down my Compaq

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We had Macs when I was in college in the late 90s and I hated them. But Macs sucked just as bad as Windows back then (before OS X).

10. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

Not sure what version we used it was 2000 and they kept the newest OS versions on the computers

11. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

I feel relieved now, with all the help. Thanks guys. One more problem.

Will my iPhone 4 and iPod nano lose their data if I connect them to the new Mac? If so, is there any way I could transfer the data from my current PC to the new Mac?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

13. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

I qualify as an "old dog" too. I got my iMac in February 2011. Changing from a Vista laptop at home and windows xpee at work. The transition was easy and that's largely because Mac OSX and iMacs are so intuitive - like all Apple. I still use xpee at work and loath it. 6 months ago I put a magic trackpad on and ditched the wireless mouse. To quote another company motto (here in Australia) - just do it!

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I 'liked' your post because of the xpee. Made me smile. First time I've seen that.

15. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I did the same switch as you. I have not regretted it and the only difference is that Macintosh is much easier to use, much more efficient and much more of a joy to use. No lag, no freezing. It is also much more intuitive.