Windshield holder for 3GS wanted

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I've looked online at a few windshield holders for the iPhone but it's hard to tell if they expose the camera lens. Does anyone know of one for sure? I need a holder that'll hold the 3gs in place and also allow me to shoot some video or take pictures while driving. Thanks.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I'm sure! I shot a few clips just placing the iPhone on my dashboard (precariously) and the quality is unbelievable for a mere smartphone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
A variable-speed drill would do the trick with any windshield mount. Use a slower speed for plastic. I did this with my belt-clip, since it doubles as my case.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I don't think they'll let me drill through my helicopter's plastic windshield even if I use a slow speed drill. ;)

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I put a smiley winking to show it was a joke but there's a little x where the smiley goes. Oh well...lol

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Please let us now. It looks interesting enough and might work if you can adjust it to where the windshield suction part isn't in the camera's view and the price is perfect. :eek:k:eek:k

xpjet

Jul 6, 2009
I bought the Kensington offered at the Apple Store and it has a decent fit, large opening for the charging plug, and the camera lens is unobstructed. I have not tried adjusting it so that the mount is not in the camera view, but I'll check that out tomorrow.

Update: I was able to manipulate the holder so that the mount is not in the way of the camera lens. I'm happy and this should meet your needs.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I got the Semsons 3g/3gs windshield mount almost a week ago. As the photos below show, it is built for camera/video use. It is of sturdy construction, with an assuring but almost vice-like grip of the iPhone. This too-strong a grip actually left a slight dent on the IS screen protector on the back of my iPhone but I do not believe the dent transferred to the phone itself. There is a lever which allows the suction cup to form a very good seal with the windshield, and removing the mount is as easy as turning the lever in the opposite direction. The mount is fully rotational, with "ball and socket" joints and, if properly mounted, does not get in the view of the camera lens. I've also linked a short youtube clip shot with my iPhone mounted with the Semsons 3g/3gs windshield mount.

This in my opinion is a very good product and reasonably priced at $10.99 + $5.00 S&H.

The "dent" on the InvisibleSHIELD and the notch on the mount that I believe caused it:

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Video is as good or better than a few police dash cams I've seen. Great review and very appropriate song choice :eek:k:eek:k

I was waiting for you to get it. I bought one at Fry's and 1- it won't stay stuck to my windshield 2- it's a generic holder so it's big for the iPhone (but holds it tightly). I'm taking it back tomorrow on my way home from work. This one looks like it's made specifically for the iPhone/iPod series.

What does that "notch" do? Could I grind it off, or at least grind it down enough so it doesn't touch the iPhone, without hurting the mount structurally?

How long did it take for you to get it after you ordered it?

I'm ordering one today as soon as I get to work. Thanks again!

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
The raised ridge or notch, as I called it, I think is to ensure there is no "play" between the phone and the holder and also to reduce transfer of vehicle and road vibrations to the phone (hence the "Low Vibration" in its name). It's just a bit too high and you could probably grind it down a little.

The Melissa Etheridge song was just a fortunate radio-play happenstance, but thanks!:)

Edit: I got holder in the mail within 4 days of the online order.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
The raised ridge or notch, as I called it, I think is to ensure there is no "play" between the phone and the holder and also to reduce transfer of vehicle and road vibrations to the phone (hence the "Low Vibration" in its name). It's just a bit too high and you could probably grind it down a little.

The Melissa Etheridge song was just a fortunate radio-play happenstance, but thanks!:)

Edit: I got holder in the mail within 4 days of the online order.

Cool thanks again. I just ordered mine today. When I get it I'll see about grinding down that plastic a little bit and if needed placing a piece of rubber on it for a tight/snug fit without the dent on the back of the phone.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I have read that when tomtom finally comes out with their turn by turn navigation app that they are supposed to have an accessory that you can buy that will have a dash/windshield mount plus a long power cord.