Wine

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I did run a search and didn't come across any threads recently dealing with wine, so I thought, since I'm becoming more of a "wine enthusiast" that I'd start a little thread on this.

What are some of your favorite types of wine? Do you enjoy wines of different categories (red, white, blush, sparkling, dry, fruity, etc.), or do you mainly stick within a certain category? Can you provide some recommendations that I can find at a local winery or wine store?

I have found a wine I recently tried at the Olive Garden that was their featured wine, it was a Castello del Poggio Moscato; however, it was only available at the restaurant (I couldn't find a bottle of it locally). They did have an Elmo Pio Moscato which is delicious! I picked a bottle of it up and boy is it tasty. It's a sparkling, fruity, white wine.

I like a variety of flavors (red, white, fruity, sparkling); however, dry wines just don't do it for me....

How about you guys?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I drink beer. I do not believe I'm classy enough for wine. ;)

Actually, I just don't like the taste of most wines....although I've been trying to become more of a red wine drinker. Red wine is actually pretty good for you, in moderation.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I drink beer. I do not believe I'm classy enough for wine. ;)

Actually, I just don't like the taste of most wines....although I've been trying to become more of a red wine drinker. Red wine is actually pretty good for you, in moderation.
Oh yes, I drink beer too! I've just started mixing it up with wine and beer lately.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
On the rare occasion I sit back and watch a chick-flick with mrs. iPhonewarrior I drink-

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon

It's not the most exspensive wine on the market, but it tastes perfect to me. I'm a red wine fan. None of that rose crap.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Oh yes, I drink beer too! I've just started mixing it up with wine and beer lately.
My sister is getting married next week and at her bachelorette party we had the champagne they'll be serving at the wedding. Now that is some good stuff. I usually can't stand champagne but this goes down so easily and I think it will be pretty easy to get blitzed with it. ;)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
On the rare occasion I sit back and watch a chick-flick with mrs. iPhonewarrior I drink-

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon

It's not the most exspensive wine on the market, but it tastes perfect to me. I'm a red wine fan. None of that rose crap.
Great! Yes, I love red wine, too. Running a quick search at a local wine shop, I didn't return any results for this exact wine, but I know they definitely sell Australian wine (in the Wolf Blass brand) - so I'll definitely give this a look!

Thanks for the suggestion, warrior!

Enjoy your movie nights with the Mrs.... ;)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
My sister is getting married next week and at her bachelorette party we had the champagne they'll be serving at the wedding. Now that is some good stuff. I usually can't stand champagne but this goes down so easily and I think it will be pretty easy to get blitzed with it. ;)
Oh yes, Flwr... Champagne can be dangerous... ;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Kaba, see if you can find a wine called Clos La Chance with a humming bird on the label.
Used to be my favorite merlot, but it's difficult to find. It's also not exactly cheap. we are talking about 20 or so for the bottle.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I bought a bottle of wine on my first trip to Italy years ago and planned a cool uncorking and such for my 21st birthday. However, 5 years ago I found out I was allergic to grapes so the bottle of wine still sits. I've yet to actually try grape wine (afraid of the whole, anaphylactic shock thing) but I have had blueberry wine and enjoyed it quite a bit.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The bottle I mentioned is roughly £10 english.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Kaba, see if you can find a wine called Clos La Chance with a humming bird on the label.
Used to be my favorite merlot, but it's difficult to find. It's also not exactly cheap. we are talking about 20 or so for the bottle.
Thanks for the suggestion! I did a quick search on my local wine shop (because unfortunately, Pennsylvania has state run liquor/wine shops that you need to purchase from) and they don't carry it. Maybe I'd be lucky at a local winery, which we have quite a few in driving distance. I found there website and can order directly from there. Any specific kind you recommend? They've got quite a large selection!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I bought a bottle of wine on my first trip to Italy years ago and planned a cool uncorking and such for my 21st birthday. However, 5 years ago I found out I was allergic to grapes so the bottle of wine still sits. I've yet to actually try grape wine (afraid of the whole, anaphylactic shock thing) but I have had blueberry wine and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Very nice! That could definitely be a keepsake. What type of wine is it? Do you wish to sell it?! :)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
The bottle I mentioned is roughly £10 english.
I have a feeling this is going to be hard to find in the States. I can't find any place local that sells Yellow Label. I might have to order online. Wine isn't too expensive, so I don't mind ordering random wine. I normally am keeping 5-10 bottles on my wine shelf!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I have a feeling this is going to be hard to find in the States. I can't find any place local that sells Yellow Label. I might have to order online. Wine isn't too expensive, so I don't mind ordering random wine. I normally am keeping 5-10 bottles on my wine shelf!
I'd be quite happy to ship one over. I'd do it at cost price, no profit for me. I'd do it tomoz. lol. :eek:k:eek:k

Just think, by the time you would receive it, it would have aged and been just that little bit more exspensive. ;)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'd be quite happy to ship one over. I'd do it at cost price, no profit for me. I'd do it tomoz. lol. :eek:k:eek:k

Just think, by the time you would receive it, it would have aged and been just that little bit more exspensive. ;)
How much, warrior? I have PayPal! :) Seriously though, PM if you're interested.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
How much, warrior? I have PayPal! :) Seriously though, PM if you're interested.

Send me your email via PM and I will gladly send you the exact bottle that I've mentioned.

I will seriously send this off to you tomoz. They sell this stuff round the corner from me. I try to buy at least one a week, as we all know a good bottle of wine is good for you.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I pretty much only drink wine with a meal or snack. Because of that, I prefer Reislings. I recommend Pacific Rim Wallula Vineyard if you prefer the sweeter wine. If you're in the mood for off dry, I recommend Hogue Cellars Genesis.