WinSCP sucks. Anyone have an alternate?

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
This app has constant disconnects and often cuts out with no remedy but app restart. Anyone else know of a good SCP client?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Wow, check your connection, WinSCP is teh great...

I use it in the office quite a bit, my sessions have gone on to last days. At home it's just as reliable, honestly you should check your setup.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Check what connection? I can ping my computer from the iPhone without a drop. Why is WinSCP dropping in the middle of changing directories?

iPhone's on a static IP.

Sometimes WinSCP can't even find the phone, even though Wifi's alive and I can ping my system from the phone. It's not an issue of me entering the IP incorrectly...

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, the number of drops I'm having is atrocious. Maybe it's my wireless router? I don't seem to have any problems connecting or browsing...

Also I can't test it at work because there's a VPN in place so I can't connect any computer to the iPhone (which connects to an isolated "guest" network).

For example, login will take a long time and sometimes not connect. When it does connect, I will bomb out when going up and down directories. Saving files is 10% successful. 9 failures out of 10. And it has been this way only for the last couple of days. Before that I had NO problems with it like the rest of you :(

For example, screenshot below is of me logging in then trying to navigate to the Springboard dir.

...also, seems like WinSCP won't even connect unless I specifically go into Safari on the iPhone and access a web page (hit refresh)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Definitely sounds like an issue with your WLAN. I have no such problems with WinSCP.

I usually have 2 WinSCP sessions active on my PC all of the time. I leave them open even when I am away from my PC. When I return to the PC I just need to hit reconnect and WinSCP has no problem reconnecting.

--
Mike