Winterboard Questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
With Cydia, every time it was launched it would download new releases. It was really painful to go and look around for new applications as loading Cydia would take 10-30 seconds. Also cancelling was unresponsive and took just as long as if I would of let it download. Was this normal? Are there any plans to improve Cydia?

With Winterboard my battery was draining way too quickly. I was organizing around 5 pages of applications and my battery was nearly 50% depleted. Is Winterboard normally that power intensive? I knew Winterboard takes up more battery life, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Currently I'm back on a stock iPhone firmware. The main reason was with Cydia, so I'm more concerned and looking for information there. I found it really too annoying to use.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Cydia updates each time you open it. There's no way around it. It's best to just let it do it's thing before you try surfing apps or downloading otherwise it will probably crash.

Winterboard isn't known to be a battery drainer. I would suspect another app, possibly. You may have downloaded something that runs in the background without your knowledge.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
With Cydia, every time it was launched it would download new releases. It was really painful to go and look around for new applications as loading Cydia would take 10-30 seconds. Also cancelling was unresponsive and took just as long as if I would of let it download. Was this normal? Are there any plans to improve Cydia?

With Winterboard my battery was draining way too quickly. I was organizing around 5 pages of applications and my battery was nearly 50% depleted. Is Winterboard normally that power intensive? I knew Winterboard takes up more battery life, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Currently I'm back on a stock iPhone firmware. The main reason was with Cydia, so I'm more concerned and looking for information there. I found it really too annoying to use.
Winterboard shouldn't drain all your battery, but of course some more than on a stock iPhone. Have you set-up Winterboard to do something special in the background?

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Cydia updates each time you open it. There's no way around it. It's best to just let it do it's thing before you try surfing apps or downloading otherwise it will probably crash.

Winterboard isn't known to be a battery drainer. I would suspect another app, possibly. You may have downloaded something that runs in the background without your knowledge.
it got me curious... that there is JB app might run in the background..? without using "backgrounder" (i think that's the name of it) ?

If so, is there any way to identify what app is running background?
I know if you hold "home" long enough, it will kill the app...

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
So Cydia is normally that slow? That's a shame, I thought it would of been built better.

I didn't install backgrounder at all as I have no applications that would run in the background. At the time I had installed SSH to transfer a theme, Winterboard and Sysprefs. SSH was off so that wasn't eating the battery.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
are you trying to use cydia while on edge? if so I would only recommend opening cydia and downloading things while on Wi-fi

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
ive noticed a lag on my cydia that didn't use to be there, even with a fresh restore its slow. It hasn't always been as slow as it is now.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Ok, so I've downloaded a couple themes (Superman, Family Guy), and have some others on here that I don't want anymore. Is there a way to individually delete these themes or apps from Winterboard?

Thanks,

Jason.

MChef1000

Jan 11, 2010
I have successfuly managed to get a video wallpaper up and running, however, whenever I start my music (and then pause and go to home) the background becomes black and without the video. I'm using an iPod touch 2G. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

TheDude1120

Bronze
Dec 1, 2009
nope, happens to me too thats y i turned vwallpaper off, other programs were using up ram which caused the video to stop, thats y i stick to regular wallpapers lol

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
I wondered that too...what dictates the aspects of one over the other? If they both have some of the same internals! Oh, well though...I just take what I like and condense into one super theme!

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
how do you do that also? lol.. im lost with this whole jailbreak thing.. ughh
First search for AFC2add in Cydia. Then download iPhone browser and iPhone explorer on your computer.
Afc2 is needed for the two programs to see and allow access to your iPhone. Your winterboard themes will be in Var/stash/themes. I like to right click and save as; all my themes on the computer so i can have all the components handy. It is time consuming, but take note of what different items are labeled by Apple and replace them with the items you want. Most will need a reboot of the phone to take effect. explorer will allow for entire folder transfers and browser is what i use for the replacing of individual files. Mainly, take your time, research and do a little at a time to gauge progress! Hope this helps some and welcome to Jailbreaking and customization!

iblastoff

Bronze
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Canada
iblastoff.ca
Does it really matter what order you put things in winterboard when you check them?
If so, then why?
yes it does matter. say you have a theme that fully covers everything on the phone. then you find a specific battery theme you like better. so you can then order the battery theme first to overwrite the battery theme in your main theme, thus they can coexist together while maintaining your own preference of things.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
yes it does matter. say you have a theme that fully covers everything on the phone. then you find a specific battery theme you like better. so you can then order the battery theme first to overwrite the battery theme in your main theme, thus they can coexist together while maintaining your own preference of things.
exactly, its all about prioritization and overriding. instead of going in and manually creating your own theme with what you want from different packages, you can just move things around in winterboard and see what you like/don't like.