WinterBoard: The "Core" of all my problems

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Harsh title, yes? Read on to find out why :)

I got my iPhone 3G in October/November time when most of the software bugs were fixed with 2.1. I was all excited and didn't know where to start, so I decided to see the possibilities (Most of them I knew from before) of what I could do as I had forgotten most of the best ones. I started with AppStore Apps, Cydia Apps. I didn't do theming until I had most of what I wanted.

So, late in January 2009, I started theming and was going very well. But every so few days after installing WinterBoard, everything seemed to grind to a halt, SMS took ages to load and so did other simple apps like Camera. I was restoring literally weekly, and so I went on to find out what the problem was. After some extensive research, I came to the conclusion that WinterBoard was the core all of my problems, on my last restore, I didn't install WinterBoard and guess what? I'm still on that same image, I've been running this "image" for over 2 months with no slow downs and nothing. I e-mailed Saurik a few weeks ago but I have yet to hear a response. I also found out that WinterBoard uses 10MB in RAM, why so much?
This seriously needs to be sorted out as a lot of people are experiencing the same problems as me, and as the user, we can't do anything :(

Neo-Tech

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i use winterboard with no issues.

- one thing you can do is apply themes via ssh. a little bit harder imo, but once you learn it really is not hard at all.
- another thing you can do is build a custom ipsw with pwnagetool (not quickpwn) and make your root partition bigger (i made mine to 710 mb i believe) and have no issues.
- it also could be the theme you are using and not winterboard itself. i know a lot of the more complex iNav themes use more ram than others, so that could be another issue.

overall i think winterboard is pretty good. it is in no way perfect, but if you really like theming there are some possible fixes to allow you to do so. as always post up or feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

djdenny13

May 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
i'm not pretty sure the winterboard is that ''innocent'' , since i installed winterboard in my iPhone i started to have several problems with my battery life....the phone is not charging.....or is charging just for few seconds and the than it stops charging ,than it starts again....and it stops again..and so on...anyway im getting pretty anoyed bout the fact that im leaving my phone connected to a charger for several hours and the phone is charged not even a half of the battery.and i don't knw what o can do......

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
i use winterboard with no issues.

- one thing you can do is apply themes via ssh. a little bit harder imo, but once you learn it really is not hard at all.
- another thing you can do is build a custom ipsw with pwnagetool (not quickpwn) and make your root partition bigger (i made mine to 710 mb i believe) and have no issues.
- it also could be the theme you are using and not winterboard itself. i know a lot of the more complex iNav themes use more ram than others, so that could be another issue.

overall i think winterboard is pretty good. it is in no way perfect, but if you really like theming there are some possible fixes to allow you to do so. as always post up or feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
I'm not so sure on how theme from SSH, could you guide me please? :)
I don't have a Mac so I can't make one, I just end up downloading Custom IPSW's from TPB and using the default settings, I also use Yellowsn0w for testing purposes so yeah.
It happened with every single theme I used, I even tried to rule out if it was my theme, but it wasn't. I used Matte UI and iGlassSol.

i'm not pretty sure the winterboard is that ''innocent'' , since i installed winterboard in my iPhone i started to have several problems with my battery life....the phone is not charging.....or is charging just for few seconds and the than it stops charging ,than it starts again....and it stops again..and so on...anyway im getting pretty anoyed bout the fact that im leaving my phone connected to a charger for several hours and the phone is charged not even a half of the battery.and i don't knw what o can do......
My battery life was also badly affected! Now my battery lasts on average a total of 3 days without charge, mild usage.

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
I agree. Battery and slowing the phone down was a huge issue fir me. I now install all themes ssh and all works fast and snappy all the time! :)

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
So how would I go on about theming myself? I'd love to do so if it doesn't slow down my phone :)

djdenny13

May 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I agree. Battery and slowing the phone down was a huge issue fir me. I now install all themes ssh and all works fast and snappy all the time! :)
does the battery was a huge issue for you because of the winterboard?......

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Yes, WinterBoard does drain your battery quite a lot.

Soo...does anybody have a tutorial for me for manual theming?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+iPhone+theme+ssh

just playin, but how comfortable are you with ssh? do you know the root destinations for each respective thing you want to theme? i only ask this because if you don't know much about it, i recommend taking the time to do so, because you can give yourself quite a big headache if you just go in there and start editing things.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+iPhone+theme+ssh

just playin, but how comfortable are you with ssh? do you know the root destinations for each respective thing you want to theme? i only ask this because if you don't know much about it, i recommend taking the time to do so, because you can give yourself quite a big headache if you just go in there and start editing things.
I'm quite advanced at SSH, I know my way round :p That link you gave me doesn't bring up anything lol

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Bumpy. I tried WinterBoard again and two words "HELL NO!"

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Ooh, I'm going to try WinterBoard Lite today, see if that helps.

rexton270

May 12, 2009
I'm not so sure on how theme from SSH, could you guide me please? :)
I don't have a Mac so I can't make one, I just end up downloading Custom IPSW's from TPB and using the default settings, I also use Yellowsn0w for testing purposes so yeah.
It happened with every single theme I used, I even tried to rule out if it was my theme, but it wasn't. I used Matte UI and iGlassSol.

My battery life was also badly affected! Now my battery lasts on average a total of 3 days without charge, mild usage.
Hi, a bit noob question but how did you manage 3 days? Is it only the Winterboard? If so how did you reinstall without it? I don't using themes (just backround image) so if you will be so kind and shed a light on it...Thanks.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Well, I restored and just didn't install WinterBoard. And I lost like 20-30% a day, so it lasted around 3 days.

I tried WB Lite and I have to say, performance is a tad better. Too bad I have to restore because of memory leaks and such :(

rarity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2008
Sunshine State
I've decided I'm bored with theming. I deleted Winterboard and my battery lasts all day with the same usage I have always had. I also deleted 5 icon dock and SB Settings. Major difference deleting these 3 things.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Anybody have the WinterBoard Lite deb file? I want to install it but the author has removed it :(