Wiping 5S Clean to Return

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I am planning to return my Space Gray iPhone 5S at noon today.

If I go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings in the phone itself, will that adequately erase and delete all information from it for return? Or do I need to do a Restore via iTunes?

I backed everything up to iTunes this morning.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, using Erase All Content and Settings is fine. Just log out of iCloud first.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Make sure you turn off the find my iPhone feature first before erasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Logging out of iCloud will turn that off.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Why are you returning? Upgrading to gold?:p

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Why are you returning? Upgrading to gold?:p
GOLD! 32 Gigs of GOLD! Due to be delivered on Tuesday. But had to return the "loaner" today to get it returned within the 14 day window.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I was able to just delete all the sensitive stuff while I waited, and we just couldn't do a total wipe before they took possession of it, but they still accepted it.

And from what I've read, you can't do a total wipe now even in iTunes without that restrictions password if it's set.

Sent using iCafe app

Nickbakko

Oct 14, 2013
for some reason I heard a lot of people cant get all there stuff back on there phone for some reason when switching to 5s?

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
GOLD! 32 Gigs of GOLD! Due to be delivered on Tuesday. But had to return the "loaner" today to get it returned within the 14 day window.
I thought I was the only person that did this lol. I had the silver 5s initially. Then I switched to the note 3, then back to the silver. Then to gold lol.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was able to just delete all the sensitive stuff while I waited, and we just couldn't do a total wipe before they took possession of it, but they still accepted it.

And from what I've read, you can't do a total wipe now even in iTunes without that restrictions password if it's set.

Sent using iCafe app
"Erase all content and settings" effectively wipes everything. Everything on iPhones' storage is encrypted, and "Erase all..." simply deletes the encryption key and resets settings. Without the key, encrypted data is irrecoverable.

This only takes a few minutes, and you can perform this at any time right from your phone or through the Find my iPhone feature in iCloud.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
for some reason I heard a lot of people can't get all there stuff back on there phone for some reason when switching to 5s?
@Nickbakko

Yes, this happened to my hubby when he restored his new iPhone 5s from his iPhone 4s.

16 Apps didn't make it on to the iPhone 5s. He was not happy. I detertmined that the cause of the Apps not making it could be because:

1. The apps were not on iTunes anymore and not supported. They hung on to the iPhone 4s during updates, but could not and did not make the cut to the iPhone 5s. When we researched, we did find that many of these missing Apps simply were just not on iTunes anymore.

AND OR

2. The developer had not updated the apps in a few years and the new iPhone just wasn't having the Apps on board although the iOS7 update on the iPhone 4s did not nix those Apps. Those Apps are not supported in a 64 Bit environment. I suppose.

Don't take this as gospel. It's just an idea of why Apps didn't make it over and what I found in my experience.