Wiping old iPhone (whilst still keeping the apps?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Disco_Dave, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave New Member

Hi there. I'm going to give my step-dad my old iPhone 3GS (as I've just upgraded).

I'd like to wipe all of my data off my old iPhone, (however I've got quite a few apps on there
    that I'm happy for him to keep.
    (As I've backed up my data and transferred it to my new phone).

So is there a way to wipe my iPhone, whilst still keeping the apps on? Or do I have to go through and delete all of my data manually?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers.

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

U should be able to wipe, then just connect to iTunes, set up as new and DL the apps....

3. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

Wipe it, then set up home share and he can get any apps or music from your phone.

4. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

How do you wipe your phone and do that home share?

5. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave New Member

OK, slight change of plans.......

I don't live in the same house as my parents, so I'm just wanting to wipe the iPhone and give him the phone.
    However......(Isn't there always something.........)

I'd like to wipe the H/S (or the equivalent) BUT, I'd like to keep the iOS version at same version it currently is (4.xxx something)
    remember it's an iPhone 3GS and although I know it "Can" be upgraded to 5.xxx I've heard that it slows down the handset too much.

So if I do a wipe (I'm assuming it'll return it to the factory default of 3.xxx something). And from there I'll only be able to upgrade to
    5.xxxx.

So my question is.
    Can I wipe the iPhone but keep the iOS at it's current 4.xxx version.

Once again, thanks in advance.
    I really appreciate all the help so far.

Cheers.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't recommend giving it to him with your apps. I recommend restoring it to factory settings prior to giving it to him. He'll need his own account unless you are comfortable with him sharing yours and having access to your account and being able to purchase apps with your credit card that's on file (if you have one on file). If you sell it to him with your apps on it and he logs in through his own account, your apps will be removed when he syncs, so it won't have helped him anyway. If you still want to sell it to him with your apps, restore to factory settings and then sync the apps onto it afterwards. Then log out of your account on the phone and tell him your apps will be removed if he syncs in iTunes.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can ONLY do this if your phone is not currently jailbroken:
    Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content And Settings
    This will remove all of your data, settings and media and set it back to factory settings. It will not update the firmware. Let me know if your phone is jailbroken because you'll need to follow different directions if it is.

8. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave New Member

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply !

No, it's not jailbroken.

But thanks once again, that's really helpful !

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, you're good to go then. Wiping the phone that way only takes a few minutes. :)

10. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave New Member

Awesome !
    You're a STAR.

Cheers.

11. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

I'm still lost

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Take a look at post #7 from Europa. She explains how to wipe the device in that post. Or is it the home sharing you seem to be lost on?

13. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

Lance there is nothing in that box but an x

14. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

Roofmonkey I was reading her thread but I'm wondering now is after you back up your phone in which I've done today, that means all the info contacts ect is stored so that if I wanted to get a new phone like iPhone 5 I can sync all my info to my new phone!

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

In a short answer, yes.
    If you do a back up of the device and get a new iPhone / iPad, you can do a restore on the device from that backup and everything 'should' be back in place. As an example, I just bought the new iPad. I had done a backup of my old one in iTunes AND in iCloud (just in case). When I first powered on the new iPad it asked if I wanted to setup as new, restore from a backup in iTunesmor restore from a backup from iCloud. I chose iCloud and my newmipad was up and running in less than 10 minutes. All my contacts, photos, etc... We're on the new device.