Wiping V1

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
I just sold my V1 phone, but the Apple store won't have any 3G's in until at least Mon. The guy I talked to at the store said I should wait until I get the new phone, sync the old phone then sync the new phone and it will erase everything on the old phone. If I don't do this, I might be left without a phone and a contract if I can't get the new one to work right away (which based on recent anecdotes, is a distinct possibility).

Is this true? It seems like lots of people have been wiping the phone before getting their new one.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Just by syncing the new phone, doesn't wipe the V1. Take your SIM out, click Restore in iTunes, and it'll be done. You won't have an option to back up or sync, so you'll know its completely wiped.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You won't have an option to back up or sync, so you'll know its completely wiped.
Not really. It had been shown that you can still recover info off the phone if someone really wanted to.:)
If you have V2, go to settings-general-reset- and use "Erase All Content and Settings". If you are not on V2, look over this article for more help.