Wireless charger

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

randomrob

Jun 18, 2007
Ok so I've been on this board for awhile and I just haven't posted because all my questions usually get answered some time or another. Well I don't know if this one will ever get brought up. I am definitely getting the iPhone, well hopefully. I also wanted to get a wireless charger for it. Supposedly you have to put a module on the battery for it to work. How hard is it to open the iPhone up and put something on the battery? Is it even fathomable? If not I'm not sure I want to waste my money on the charger. I have heard rumors of other similar charges coming out that might not have to put something on the battery. We shall see I suppose. Anywho, thanks for the help.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Ok so I've been on this board for awhile and I just haven't posted because all my questions usually get answered some time or another. Well I don't know if this one will ever get brought up. I am definitely getting the iPhone, well hopefully. I also wanted to get a wireless charger for it. Supposedly you have to put a module on the battery for it to work. How hard is it to open the iPhone up and put something on the battery? Is it even fathomable? If not I'm not sure I want to waste my money on the charger. I have heard rumors of other similar charges coming out that might not have to put something on the battery. We shall see I suppose. Anywho, thanks for the help.
heard of wildcharge? Im using that. Its awesome. I don't know if that was the question you asked, but o well.
UPDATE: of course you have heard of wildcharge. Plus, when you get the iPhone you will be able to tell if you can open the back. So, wait till you get one. Then you can preorder the charger on 7/7/07 if it will work. Or try contacting the company. You will have to wait anyways cause you cant order until after the iPhone ships.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
rob,
you can not access the iPhone battery and if you do only Apple can do it. And i don't think Apple will be willing to open up the battery just for the wireless charger. And i have not even seen a puchaseable wireless charger...sorry

hope this helps

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
rob,
you can not access the iPhone battery and if you do only Apple can do it. And i don't think Apple will be willing to open up the battery just for the wireless charger. And i have not even seen a puchaseable wireless charger...sorry

hope this helps
hmmla. Click on the link. Also, you may be able to open it.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
Splashpower makes something called the SplashPad. It is similar to Wildcharge's device (however I think SplashPower was first to the market with the technology.)

The common denominator seems to be that your device has to be enabled with this technology prior to using it, and I don't think enabling the device with an aftermarket solution is feasible. First, an adaptor that would fit on your battery would most likely prevent you from closing the battery cover. There aren't "stickers" you can just put on the battery to make the device work, the stickers are simply to identify that the device is SplashPad or Wildcharge enabled.

For this technology to work, the device's manufacturer needs to install a SplashPad or Wildcharge module in the device at the time of production. The device that is installed is actually what receives the power from the pad and charges the battery. Until Apple contracts with one of these companies I don't think we will see this readily available for iPhone or any of the iPods...

I looked into this technology about 6 months ago and am very disappointed that it isn't more readily available and practical (there are very few manufacturers that produce devices that are enabled with this technology)...there was even talk about SplashPad making "SplashTables", like a conference room table that you could set your device on and it started charging...go in for a meeting, set your phone, computer, whatever down, leave and it's charged...

This is def a 2nd gen iPhone thing, if not 3rd, or 4th...

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Also if the iPhone battery cover is metal, inductive coupling to charge the battery will not work; the metal would shield the internal coupling circuit from the EM field of the charge pad.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Nice, that's pretty cool. I guess we might see something like this implemented in later versions.
When I read this back in Feb, I thought it might explain the black section on the bottom of the iPhone. According to the article, the patent was filed on August 9, 2005 so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it was already in the iPhone. Since we haven't heard any rumors of this being apart of version 1 of the iPhone, I don't have much hope anymore.