Wireless charging of your iPhone weeks away

H

Hayesimus

Utterly AMAZING... just think of the possibilities...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Is this going to require we attach a dongle to the iPhone's dock connector? If so, not very wireless...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I'm interested in stuff coming from the factory like this. No dongles.

Also... what's the range? I want my whole car lined with this stuff. How about the studio?

Can I line my pants pocket with it and hook it up to an accelerometer sewn into my cuff to charge while walking?

Great tech... don't see using it with my iPhone.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If it comes from the factory able to be charged like this, then I'm game. Totally sick of all the wires dangling around my apartment and office for charging my stuff.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ahhhh I want one now. That's just awesome and it's another reason I love living in a technological age.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No dongle. No wires. They sell you a sleeve-style case (around $35) that has the adaptor stuff on the back of it - so you just lay the iPhone or Touch on the charging pad and it's all go.

Shows it all in the video demo ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ah yes, the video. Thanks Patrick.

Good idea. I'd still prefer it stock from the factory this way.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ah yes, the video. Thanks Patrick.

Good idea. I'd still prefer it stock from the factory this way.
Me too. I'm not a big fan of sleeve-style cases. Then again, I can't see Apple incorporating anything as aesthetically un-pleasing as the adapter stuff as it currently looks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not a fan that you need the sleeve adapter but I suppose I could make do. Would be nice to eliminate some wires.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think the attractiveness of this may increase based on how many devices you have that work with it. As in, if it's just your iPhone I'm not sure if the time / clutter-reducing advantage balance out that well of having to take sleeve on and off (I don't fancy using that sleeve all the time). If you have an iPhone, a Blackberry, an iPod, whatever others are compatible down the road, then this kills off a big mess of wires and plug-ins and shite ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've got my Classic and my phone that I usually try and charge at the same time and just tossing them onto the pad would be pretty easy. It's also convenient because the Air only has the one USB slot so I could multi-charge with ease.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh, and one thing they haven't got right on the sleeve design yet is apparently it has no cutout for the sync / charge port. So you also *have* to take the sleeve off to sync to your computer. That needs to change I think ...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I think the attractiveness of this may increase based on how many devices you have that work with it. As in, if it's just your iPhone I'm not sure if the time / clutter-reducing advantage balance out that well of having to take sleeve on and off (I don't fancy using that sleeve all the time). If you have an iPhone, a Blackberry, an iPod, whatever others are compatible down the road, then this kills off a big mess of wires and plug-ins and shite ...
thats exactly what i was thinking
this is really only advantageous to people with many rechargeable devices that need to be charged daily

this would have been cool for me like a few months ago when i had to charge my ipod and my phone almost every day...but now i just charge my iPhone and im good to go lol

i think Apple already solved this problem:p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Oh, and one thing they haven't got right on the sleeve design yet is apparently it has no cutout for the sync / charge port. So you also *have* to take the sleeve off to sync to your computer. That needs to change I think ...
i don't see how it can change. the port needs to be used by the adapter they give you... unless they build it like those wall power plugs that's a male and female all in one.