Wireless Issues (not the typical kind)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
It worked here at my house for about 2 days, connected to my wireless network just fine. Used it a lot, had no issues.

This morning, it is pissing me off. I have read all of the threads on resetting routers and resetting the phone and turning on flight mode and nothing works. It defaults to edge NO MATTER WHAT. And when I do perform a reset on the phone, it will work with Wireless for as long as I use it until it goes to sleep, then back to edge and it won't go back to ANY wireless connection until I reset it again. I refuse to accept this, and it is a deal breaker for me. I will return this phone if I can't get it solved.

I am using a DLink DGL-4300, it has served me flawlessly for the past 6 months. This router is high quality, I have already updated its firmware to the latest revision and it is working properly with the multiple wireless devices in this house. The issue lies with the Phone, there is no question about that.

I'm looking for some advanced help here, because like I've said, I have already tried everything I could find on these forums. It's very weird that it just started happening this morning after working fine for a couple days.

Weird things are happening with the WiFi settings as well. It is basically unresponsive to IP changes. It is set to DHCP from the the router, but it will list the WRONG IP. The IP on the router that is being given to the iPhone's MAC address doesn't match what the iPhone shows, and when I correct it on the iPhone by assigning it a Static IP the same as the one the router gave it, nothing happens.

I'm at a loss here and hoping someone can help me.

Thanks

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
Had the same type of issues at my parents house trying their to use the iPhone on their wireless router.

Might be sol at the moment, but i have a feeling that Apple is going to focus heavily on wifi improvement on their first update. It seems to be the major problem at this point.

So make sure you share your iPhone info with Apple through iTunes and wait.

winyan

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Got a weird question, my wifi shows strongly,

however, it won't go out to anything, from google to maps to anything.

Also it says I don't have edge network, when I already got the data plan, isn't edge included?

win

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
Ended up doing a complete restore THROUGH iTUNES. That solved it for now, I still don't trust it though. They definitely need to post some updates soon.

Jul 2, 2007
it seems like people with dlink routers are having lots of issues. since I have a linksys I haven't had any issues. you might want to upgrade the firmware on your router. possibly contact the co and see if they are aware of whats happening.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Well, it works at my Aunt's, but it doesn't work at my house. I have no idea what the problem could be, but I hope it gets taken care of in the update. Does anyone have any idea of when the next update is supposed to be released?

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
Well, it works at my Aunt's, but it doesn't work at my house. I have no idea what the problem could be, but I hope it gets taken care of in the update. Does anyone have any idea of when the next update is supposed to be released?
Problem is back again.

I have already updated the firmware, see original post.

It will stop working on ANY network, regardless of router. And the edge data network won't work at all in it's place, no matter where I'm at.

This needs to get fixed ASAP.

Jul 2, 2007
Problem is back again.

I have already updated the firmware, see original post.

It will stop working on ANY network, regardless of router. And the edge data network won't work at all in it's place, no matter where I'm at.

This needs to get fixed ASAP.

are you on the west coast? engadget was reporting that there was intermittent down time today. although I didn't experience anything first hand.

cman6453

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Same issue here. Linksys router. Was originally connecting and switching fine between AT&T network and my router. Now the phone won't keep the configuration. Hidden network with WEP security. After I set my connection up on the phone and my sister's network, it was initially switching between the 2 fine. After resetting my phone I had to re-establish connection. Re-established and then *POOF*, gone. After I re-established the connection, I was sitting right next to the router. Signal I was getting was 1 bar on the wireless indicator. That's after a strong signal initially. Strange. Not a deal breaker for me but it's definitely gotta get fixed.

Jul 2, 2007
now that I think of it. the router generated password, I was unable to get access with that password. so I changed it to something I created. and then i was able to get access. try that. can't hurt.

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
now that I think of it. the router generated password, I was unable to get access with that password. so I changed it to something I created. and then i was able to get access. try that. can't hurt.
I'm using a 128bit WEP key I created. It worked for about 2 days and then nothing. It's working here at work though, for now. Apple just needs to update this ASAP.

indivisi0n

Jul 1, 2007
I'm using a 128bit WEP key I created. It worked for about 2 days and then nothing. It's working here at work though, for now. Apple just needs to update this ASAP.
Upon further troubleshooting and research, I am 100% certain this is a DNS issue/conflict between EDGE and specific broadband carriers. I don't believe the router of choice has anything to do with it, because sometimes myself and others have been able to trick the phone into using WiFi even when the blue E is being displayed in the WiFi's place, simply by deleting and re-entering your router's IP in the DNS field. It doesn't make sense, but it works.

winyan

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
I would tend to agree;

Upon further troubleshooting and research, I am 100% certain this is a DNS issue/conflict between EDGE and specific broadband carriers. I don't believe the router of choice has anything to do with it, because sometimes myself and others have been able to trick the phone into using WiFi even when the blue E is being displayed in the WiFi's place, simply by deleting and re-entering your router's IP in the DNS field. It doesn't make sense, but it works.
Simply because I am using the Apple Airport Express, and I cannot connect to my wireless either. AT&T 'E' is overwhelming the wifi.

win