Wireless Mighty Mouse can't hook up to Leopard (it did once, but not anymore)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've got Leopard installed on my hackintosh tablet. Bluetooth radio works just fine, and it paired up with my mighty mouse once, but ever since I shut the computer down after that, it will not pair with it anymore. I've tried setting it up as an "Any Device", with the different passkey settings (empty, specific, or no passkey) - I never get to the prompt asking for a passkey, regardless, it just says the pairing attempt was unsuccessful. While it's trying, I can see the mouse's info in the Bluetooth control panel.

It could be that I have hooked it up to the same computer on Vista and that's somehow messed up the mouse's pairing, but I haven't been able to find any info on how to "reset" the mouse on Apple's site.

When I turn the mouse on and click it to try to start pairing, the light on the bottom just flashes twice every two seconds. Does that mean the battery is just good enough to "connect", but not good enough to "pair"?

I don't have a fresh pair of batteries to try, so I'd have to go out and buy a new pair, so I just want to make sure, if anybody knows...

robotnick

Apr 25, 2008
Does that mean the battery is just good enough to "connect", but not good enough to "pair"?
nope, thats impossible.
i have some same issue, after "Time Machine and AirPort Updates" (1.0) 19.03.2008
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/timemachineandairportupdatesv10.html

just check. this update contains new "System.kext" and new IOKit (maybe) in it as a plugin (like and a new kernel =\ ). after install "Time Machine and AirPort Updates (1.0) 19.03.2008" my Broadcom CCBT2035BDGP23-2 BT USB device was dead (not completely dead, just fruitless, cant pair anyway). it's was dreadful update for my 'ackintosh (new kernel > endless reboot / new IOKit > dead BT)

try to restore complete System.kext from combo 10.5.2 with replaсe, thus i have solved my "pair" problem. cheers.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I didn't install any updates, though... that's the weird thing. I installed straight from the DVD

System.kext has a date of April 12, 2008, which is the day I installed the OS

robotnick

Apr 25, 2008
I didn't install any updates, though... that's the weird thing. I installed straight from the DVD / System.kext has a date of April 12, 2008, which is the day I installed the OS
no updates? strange.. what is "dvd" name ? kaly / toh / brasil / etc?

"modified date" of kext tells us nothing, it's always same / updates don't ovewrite the kexts / them just replace some little files in it (kexts is actually just a folder on disk, like a dos/win catalog)

anyway, just try replace System.kext from Your install DVD

ah, and then, what BT device You use?

зы. wow, what a date? is no exists install DVD's with date 12/04/2008 of compile... really.. maybe "Update Utillity" made it for You? =)) ("modified date" is NOT install date / it's just create (compile) date)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Kalyway 10.5.2

How do I replace the file with the one from the DVD? All I can get to when I insert the DVD is the "Install Mac OS X" thing in the Finder...

The Bluetooth chipset is Broadcom, that's as much as I know about it - it came on my Lenovo X60 tablet and I can't find any details about it from the website. Just that a spec sheet says the Bluetooth chipset is connected via 82801GBM ICH7-M I/O Controller Hub, but I assume that's just where it's plugged into, not that it actually came with the chipset.

robotnick

Apr 25, 2008
turn on "invisibles" via "****tail" and use "Pacifist"

System/Library/Extensions/System.kext

remove this one, copy old one from DVD (better, if you download 10.5.2 combo from Apple and copy file from combo)
repair permissions via DiskUtillity
cross fingers

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Nope, now the system boots up into an error about how it can't load a bunch of extensions which were in that package - and the pointing stick on the computer doesn't work anymore (IOKit was one of em)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
But, as an direct result of messing that up, I had to reinstall over the current install, and the mouse pairs up now. *crosses fingers, hopes it stays that way*

Thanks!

robotnick

Apr 25, 2008
it can't load a bunch of extensions which were in that package
it's wrong rights (sorry for that), looks like you really forgot repair permissions via DiskUtillity
/ or you restore incomplete System.kext from other package instead of Apple combo 10.5.2 (in my case, system.kext from 10.5.2 combo works fine)

Anyway, i'm glad, that now all works for you.
cheers