Wireless router or just USB wireless?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
Help....I have no wireless in my home. I have 2 Macintosh computers that have USB ports but too old for built-in wireless. My question is I only need WiFi for my iPhone so do I really need a wireless router or will these new USB wireless hubs I see do the trick?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The wireless you're talking about act as wireless cards for your computer only. I don't think they broadcast a wifi signal to other devices. Have you got a link?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
You need to have a router in the house for the wifi. You need a DSL modem coming into the house. You need to have one of your computer with a hardwire to the router to set up the router with the settings etc. Then the iPhone can join the wifi.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
As KNK said, you need a Modem and a Router.

I would go ahead and get one, as it's very useful when it comes to speed and iTunes.

- John

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
As KNK said, you need a Modem and a Router.

I would go ahead and get one, as it's very useful when it comes to speed and iTunes.

- John
Sure is - and if you get a lovely, lovely Mac one you can plug an external hard drive into it and use the time machine on all your Leopard Macs. Time Machine is super duper

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
The wireless you're talking about act as wireless cards for your computer only. I don't think they broadcast a wifi signal to other devices. Have you got a link?
These are not cards. I've seen them at best buy. I believe they plug into a USB port and a small tower sits on your desk to transmit wifi. That's my understanding anyhow. I have my computer online with cable modem and a non wireless router to hook up my other mac.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
These are not cards. I've seen them at best buy. I believe they plug into a USB port and a small tower sits on your desk to transmit wifi. That's my understanding anyhow. I have my computer online with cable modem and a non wireless router to hook up my other mac.
That'll be a simple wireless access point. This will do the trick but doesn't add any routing or firewalling or NAT features. If your existing cable modem is coping OK with these - then that'll do the trick for your iPhone as well.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
You need to have a router in the house for the wifi. You need a DSL modem coming into the house. You need to have one of your computer with a hardwire to the router to set up the router with the settings etc. Then the iPhone can join the wifi.
I do have a router its just not wireless. My idea is not to buy another (wireless)router if I don't need to. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with using this USB transmitter with a iPhone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I do have a router its just not wireless. My idea is not to buy another (wireless)router if I don't need to. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with using this USB transmitter with a iPhone.
If you have more than one computer on the internet, then It's most likely that you have come 'device' somewhere that is allocating local IP addresses to those macs (192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x probably) - this is called Network Address Translation or NAT. This is the main function of a router really.

The sort of thing you need will have an RJ45 (ethernet) socket to connect to your existing hub/modem. If it just has a USB connection / or you don't have an ethernet hub in your setup - then you will need to go with some other alternative.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
If you have more than one computer on the internet, then It's most likely that you have come 'device' somewhere that is allocating local IP addresses to those macs (192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x probably) - this is called Network Address Translation or NAT. This is the main function of a router really.

The sort of thing you need will have an RJ45 (ethernet) socket to connect to your existing hub/modem. If it just has a USB connection / or you don't have an ethernet hub in your setup - then you will need to go with some other alternative.
I think I understand now. This USB device im talking about would have no way of giving my iPhone its own ip address right?
maybe I'll just get a wireless router and be don with it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think I understand now. This USB device im talking about would have no way of giving my iPhone its own ip address right?
maybe I'll just get a wireless router and be don with it.
That sounds like your best bet. They're not very expensive and then when you get a new laptop, you'll be good to go.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
That'll be a simple wireless access point. This will do the trick but doesn't add any routing or firewalling or NAT features. If your existing cable modem is coping OK with these - then that'll do the trick for your iPhone as well.
That could also be a USB wireless client such as the Linksys. I've a few (now retired) lying around.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Essentially it's a wireless card that plugs into USB instead of into a pc card slot on a laptop. Commonly used to get a desktop PC on to a wireless LAN since they do not have pc card slots normally and since it is much easier than installing a PCI card.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=2844545678B06

"If you’ve been searching for an easy way to integrate any PC or laptop into your wireless network, you’ll find just the solution with the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter. The Plug-and-Play Wireless USB Network Adapter connects directly to any USB-ready PC—just plug it in and you’re ready to share data, printers, or high speed Internet access over your existing wireless network. For desktop installation, you don’t even have to open your PC’s case. And user-friendly software makes it simple to set up. Not only is the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter easy to install and use, it’s also powerful. You can send and receive data at speeds up to 11Mbps and a new higher-powered antenna provides greater ranges than ever. The increased sensitivity helps filter out interference and “noise” to keep your signal clear. Improved error correction keeps you operating at higher transmission rates over longer distances. It’s also versatile. Need to use it temporarily on another PC? No problem. Plug it into the USB port, set it up, and you’re ready to go.
So for full desktop and notebook PC flexibility and wireless con-venience, the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter provides an all-in-one solution!"

akahan

Sep 19, 2007
DaziPhone,

You could always just get a "wireless access point," and plug it into one of the LAN ports on your existing wired router.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
DaziPhone,

You could always just get a "wireless access point," and plug it into one of the LAN ports on your existing wired router.
That might be what I was trying to do except I have no more ports empty. Thanks but I guess my best bet is still a new wireless (4 port) router. I got a $50.00 gift card for Best Buy, they'll have one.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
Essentially it's a wireless card that plugs into USB instead of into a pc card slot on a laptop. Commonly used to get a desktop PC on to a wireless LAN since they do not have pc card slots normally and since it is much easier than installing a PCI card.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=2844545678B06

"If you’ve been searching for an easy way to integrate any PC or laptop into your wireless network, you’ll find just the solution with the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter. The Plug-and-Play Wireless USB Network Adapter connects directly to any USB-ready PC—just plug it in and you’re ready to share data, printers, or high speed Internet access over your existing wireless network. For desktop installation, you don’t even have to open your PC’s case. And user-friendly software makes it simple to set up. Not only is the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter easy to install and use, it’s also powerful. You can send and receive data at speeds up to 11Mbps and a new higher-powered antenna provides greater ranges than ever. The increased sensitivity helps filter out interference and “noise” to keep your signal clear. Improved error correction keeps you operating at higher transmission rates over longer distances. It’s also versatile. Need to use it temporarily on another PC? No problem. Plug it into the USB port, set it up, and you’re ready to go.
So for full desktop and notebook PC flexibility and wireless con-venience, the Instant Wireless™ USB Network Adapter provides an all-in-one solution!"

It's starting to become a little more clear. That is if I want to get wireless access for my old iMac that doesn't have built in wireless. That device would plug into my USB port and give me wireless access to a wireless router. But I'll still need a wireless router. I've pretty much decided to just get a new wireless router and be done with it.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
That is if I want to get wireless access for my old iMac that doesn't have built in wireless. That device would plug into my USB port and give me wireless access to a wireless router. But I'll still need a wireless router.

Correct. Your wireless access point/router allows devices that have wireless capability (built in, PC card, or USB) to connect to it and to the network beyond it.