Wish list for iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There is no "Paste and Match Style" option on iOS. Hard to believe Sir Jony Ive is at the helm and he hasn't addressed this yet.

When one pastes formatted text stored in the clipboard into the Safari app, sometimes the formatting is retained, and sometimes it isn't (screenshot below). There is no uniformity whatsoever. And on Notes, none of the formatting was retained, not even the bold/italicized. Notes on OS X is perfectly capable of rendering bold and italicized text. Why not on iOS?

Worse yet, some of the formatting is retained, and some isn't. In the screenshot below, you can see that the bold and italicized text was successfuly pasted into Safari with the format retained, but the large text wasn't (large text is considered formatting; I address this point in the following paragraph).

Let us hope that the rumored TextEdit in iOS 8 will address these glaring shortcomings.

format.jpg (thumbnail, click to enlarge)

Notes on OS X is indeed capable of rendering large text. In fact, "Bigger" is an option in OS X Notes, right there in the formatting menu:

Notes Big Text.jpg

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd like to see support for multiple users on a single iPad. I've discussed it before here and there are workarounds, but I like the idea of users have a playground of their own apps, wallpapers, etc.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Adding this to my iOS 8 Wish List: Non-disastrous results when the formatted text I pasted into a note on OS X Notes (see above post) syncs up with its iOS counterpart.

sync.PNG

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Some basic customization options would be nice. I'd like to be able to hide the dock image and icon labels and adjust the scale of the app icons.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Addditonal iOS dictionaries for other langauges would be nice. They're downloadable if you need them, so they don't have to occupy extra space on your iPhone unless you want them. Besides, how much space do one of those dictionaries actually occupy on your iPhone?

Apple has a $100 billion cash stash (as of April 20, 2012), so there's no excuse for not hiring a langauge expert to create these. I can't begin to guess how much cash they have now.

I realize Greek (the langauge I'm interested in) has only 12 million native speakers (2007 figure), but, again, with the mammoth-sized cash stash of theirs, why not create a Greek dictionary... and some of the other langauges as well?

How many people are actually going to use "Reduce White Point," yet Apple implemented this feature. I see almost no difference between having that feature on vs. having it off.

Please, Apple, give us some extra dictionaries for iOS 8!

Greek.jpg

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

6 of the 15 dictionary langauges they offer are Chinese/Asian. They should offer at least all the langauges included in Google Translate.

#6 Ledsteplin, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Support for the iPhone 6 toothpaste dispenser. I keep hoping.

8. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

I want my iPhone to feed me, automatically, even if I'm asleep!

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Getting back on track, I'd like to see them spend more time with the stock apps. When iOS 7 came out, these seemed incredibly rushed. I think that most, if not all, could stand a staff look at them with fresh eyes. I'm sure the aggressive schedule of iOS 7 and deadlines resulted in corners being cut. They can do better on these apps. We've seen some fixes in iOS 7.1, particularly the Calendar app, but I'd like more.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

More stability from the get-go in iOS 8.0 would be a welcome feature. Enough additions. Get what you already have working first.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A quick jailbreak.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

There's a perfect excuse: maybe Apple doesn't think they need to hire one. We all love spending other folks' money, don't we? :)

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That would be the iIV option :D

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Dark time/date on light colored lock screen wallpapers would be nice. I created a lock screen wallpaper for my sister using the same off white background color that was on the original portrait. But the time/date showed white and was hard to see. So I changed the background color to a green my sister loves. I don't understand why the time/date was not black on the off white color. Here's what it looked liked and what I changed it to.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1395580179.511782.jpg

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They already have that feature, but perhaps your photo didn't meet the "requirements" to trigger the dark font. I tried it right now on a pure white image and iOS responded accordingly:

image.jpg

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It works on pure white. It also worked on an off white that was slightly lighter than what I used. I guess the off white I used must have been a tad too dark. But it was hard to see the time/date. They need to adjust it a bit.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Heaven forbid Apple should give us the option to manually control this.

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When you create an event manually, you can set alerts and second alerts for certain lengths of time before the event:

photo.PNG photo 2.PNG

When iOS generates an event, for example, the birthday of one of your contacts, or one of those new regional holidays, if you tap on it, you do not get similar options for settings an alert.

I have an upcoming birthday for one of my contacts, and I had to manually create an event for it just so that I could specify the reminder alerts before the day of the event.

In iOS 8, I would like those events to get the same options as those found on events that I create manually.