With 2.0 already Hacked . . .

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Does this mean that unless there is a further update to the OS, we should be able to hack the 3g iPhones?

Hope so

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yep, so far it looks good. They'll probably throw in something at the last minute or something unexpected for it not to work, but that should get cracked soon since all they look for now are bit differences in the new code.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Remember that that's just 2.0 BETA that is hacked at the moment. When the update actually is released, I'm sure it will take at least a week or so for it to be hacked again.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
In addition, there could also be a new bootloader, which may extend that jailbreak/unlock date. With so much lost revenue from hactivated iPhones, Apple would be stupid to not demand a more secure bootloader this time around.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
In addition, there could also be a new bootloader, which may extend that jailbreak/unlock date. With so much lost revenue from hactivated iPhones, Apple would be stupid to not demand a more secure bootloader this time around.
You also have to consider that if the iPhone was not unlockable, then a significant portion of those people would have never bought an iPhone and would have just stayed with their carrier. At least this way, Apple makes money off the iPhone itself.

There would be a lot more iPhones on the shelf if the iPhone was secure.You can only convert so many people to AT&T.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You also have to consider that if the iPhone was not unlockable, then a significant portion of those people would have never bought an iPhone and would have just stayed with their carrier. At least this way, Apple makes money off the iPhone itself.

There would be a lot more iPhones on the shelf if the iPhone was secure.You can only convert so many people to AT&T.
But basically, you're only talking about T-Mobile customers that could use their current carrier with an unlocked iPhone in the US anyway. The real competition for AT&T is Verizon. Those are the people they're trying to convert.

growold

May 18, 2008
Are there any videos to demonstrate iPhone 2.0 has already been hacked?

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
There are plenty of videos of the new 2.0 firmware in use, but none of the upcoming 3G iPhone. If you think you will be able to hack the new iPhone on release day, think again. Correct me if I am wrong, but neither the 3.9bl nor the 4.7bl were hacked in less than a day. The now bootloader will be tough to crack, I bet. The Dev Team are extremely gifted, but have yet to hack a new bootloader in less than 24 hours. We'll probably see a hardware unlock first, then a software unlock later. Hopefully sooner than later, but later nonetheless.