With iOS 6 AT&T Will Charge You For FaceTime Over 3/4G

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Hondamaker, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I don't use FaceTime that much, and this still enrages me. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they're throwing net neutrality out the window, grabbing Apple by the balls, and acting like it's still 2001 and they get to dictate the feature sets that are available on phones.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's my data*, I should be able to use it how I'd like...

*fully understand that it's their network.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's why I will continue to use other apps such as Tango, Skype, Fring, Oovoo, etc. Greedy Corporation AT&T is.

5. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I'm glad that AT&T separated from Canada long ago...otherwise I'm sure Rogers (AT&T) would be doing the same up here. Quite frankly, I'm happy to have free tethering and from the looks of it on iOS 6 Beta 3, this prompt does not come up for me either when I go to enable FaceTime.

6. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, until they start filtering those apps out in favor of you paying for FailTime

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I carrier will never control Apples app approval process. I bet my life on that.

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Maybe not so directly. More like a subtle failure of other video calling services in the form of packet shaping.

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Well, I'm actively anti Facetime (I don't want my tool choice to dictate that my friends need to have the same hardware), but this is just silly.

I didn't think AT&T could get any stupider. Piss of your customers with no significant benefit? Slick.

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I think AT&T would have already implemented something similar to that since those apps have been around long before Apple enable FT on 3G. Also, 3G unrestrictor has been used to enable FT over 3G for as long as I can remember but AT&T hasn't been able to stop that. I guess we can just sit and wait for AT&T's next step.

If AT&T decides to pull shady tactics like packet shaping without Apples or app developers knowledge, you can rest assure, there's gonna be a huge lawsuit filed against AT&T.

Another thing, AT&T will lose a lot of customers if they start this crap because consumers can now go to pay as you go services for the iPhone. Now that Sprint has LTE, AT&T should be doing everything in their power to prevent a mass exodus.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I wonder what else happens ........this may be the year I switch ?

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Of course, it'll be a mere coincidence if the number of AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots suddenly stops increasing. Or starts decreasing...

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

They will probably put a new system in that targets people who are doing it with nastygrams and force them to switch to the new FaceTime plan, like they did for tetherers

14. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Can anyone confirm this story? Has anyone contacted AT&T and been told by a rep that this will be an additional fee? If they will charge for this above and beyond my 4gig personal hotspot plan, I'm certainly moving to Verizon. My wife and I are both almost out of our contracts, and this fact would prevent us from signing a new one.

This is still speculation unless confirmed by AT&T.

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Two things. Apparently this notification to contact AT&T (your wireless provider), does not happen when using the same service on Verizon. I believe this notification is in line with what they did when Apple introduced the personal hotspot feature. Embedded a prompt to order the service from them. Taking a feature and holding it hostage. There is some history here with them.

AT&T did have an official statement.

We’re working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS6 and we’ll share more information with our customers as it becomes available.

16. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

AT&T--the dooshbag of the service providers.

17. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I actually use FT over 3G about as much as over wi-fi. I sometimes enjoy FT'ing my wife or daughters while I'm at work. If this is true, it may be the reason I switch carriers.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The fact that the "call 611" pop-up appears on the newest iOS 6 build means, at least, that AT&T is thinking so seriously about doing it that they convinced Apple to put the code in there.

Things could always change at the last minute. They could always even change after they happen. Like what happened with Netflix, and later on, with Verizon's "convenience fee" for customers who didn't enroll in autopay.

This is one of the great things about the Internet. We can make a huge stink about something we don't like online, and we don't have to physically go to the AT&T headquarters and throw eggs at the building.

Should the online route fail, however, here is the pertinent information for Plan B.

208 South Akard Street
    Dallas, TX 75202
    Corporate Phone Number: 1-210-821-4105

att-corporate-office-headquarters-in-dallas.jpeg

19. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I really gotta look what happnes with the new iPhone release
    1st it will mostlikly be LTE
    What I see them saying is
    you get unlimted on 3g but the contract never said 4g LTE
    2nd if you add FT you need to go to a new plan what includes FT
    I am grandfathered in on my plans. If I sign up today with the same plan (exept unlimited which is gone for good) I'd pay a a lot more.
    I also priced Verizons new plan and I'd pay about $100 (n) more. I really got to do some math with the new phones coming out.
    Perhaps T-mobil with unlocked phone is the way to go? Sprint is out if they can't provide the data speeds. We have ome other smaller companies around here. They actually carry iPhones. But I really wouldn't know about coverage so.

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

here we go some more changes family plans
    screen-shot-2012-07-18-at-7-10-32-am.png?w=657&h=185