Won an iPhone

nalwine

Dec 27, 2007
Hi All,

I recently won an iPhone and should be receiving it soon. I've been looking around the internet and it looks like the only way I will be able to use my phone is if I buy a 2 year contract for a minimum price of $1,440. With the current budget that is not feasable at all, but I've got to believe that after buying a $400-$600 piece of equipment you have to get some carrots without having to spend another $1,440 to be able to activate/use it. It has WI-FI, the iPod, useful applications aside from the phones, and the capability to sync with my pc, camera, etc. We have WI-FI at my house and just about everywhere in town so I was hoping that until I could afford the monthly fee I'd be able to use at least some of my phone. But everything I read states the contrary unless I want to do something like sign up for a two year contract and cancel within a few days so that I get a complete refund.

Is there any way to activate this phone without signing up for that contract?

Thanks!
Nate

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The minimum iPhone plan is $60/month. That's not a lot of money and you normally don't have to pay two years' worth of service in advance. If you hack the phone to be able to only use the ipod feature only, it will void the warranty on the phone.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
You sir are in Luck!
the poster above me has accidentally given you false information,
there is a way that will not void the warranty ...

when you set up your iPhone on iTunes
put in 999-99-9999 when it asks for your s.s. number
then you will be directed to a new page that asks you if you would like to do pay-as-you-go plan
check the pay as you go plan
you must pay the first month, like 50 dollars
after that stop payments

Bingo you have an iPhone with everything exept Edge/Voiceplan

it works great:cool:

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
You sir are in Luck!
the poster above me has accidentally given you false information,
there is a way that will not void the warranty ...

when you set up your iPhone on iTunes
put in 999-99-9999 when it asks for your s.s. number
then you will be directed to a new page that asks you if you would like to do pay-as-you-go plan
check the pay as you go plan
you must pay the first month, like 50 dollars
after that stop payments

Bingo you have an iPhone with everything exept Edge/Voiceplan

it works great:cool:
Or you can jailbreak it and use it as an iPod Touch, OR you can sell it and buy an iPod Touch if you don't want an iPhone.

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
You do not want to do that sir.
You will lose the speakerphone + Camera!
Let's see

If you aren't using the phone, then you are losing 8gb of space (iPod Touch is 16gigs) so you can have a crappy camera and a speakerphone.

hmmmm, touch decision...

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Let's see

If you aren't using the phone, then you are losing 8gb of space (iPod Touch is 16gigs) so you can have a crappy camera and a speakerphone.

hmmmm, touch decision...
is it crappy taking pictures whenever you want without carrying an extra camera?
is it crappy to be able to play youtube videos/ music to your friends without crowding around a set of headphones
ignorance is bliss..

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
haha, I have never had my friends crowd around to watch a youtube video or listen to music.

You would honestly rather have a mediocre speaker and a crappy camera over an additional 8gb of space?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
OR you can man up and pay &60 a month.

BTW - What's up with the crappy camera thing? The iPhone's camera is excellent.

You must be confusing it's camera with that of the Razr.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Let's see

hmmmm, touch decision...
Don't call my iPhone camera crappy. Not after my 3,500+ iPhone pics. That's an average of 19.7 pics a day. It's great for 2 Megapixel camera, a lot better than most.

Now, if they only would add a flash and an optical zoom...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Don't call my iPhone camera crappy. Not after my 3,500+ iPhone pics. That's an average of 19.7 pics a day. It's great for 2 Megapixel camera, a lot better than most.

Now, if they only would add a flash and an optical zoom...:)
Do you want a trophy?

Last edited by a moderator:

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
OR you can man up and pay &60 a month.

BTW - What's up with the crappy camera thing? The iPhone's camera is excellent.

You must be confusing it's camera with that of the Razr.

- John
No, it is a subpar 2mp camera without a flash. Something I would gladly give up for an additional 8 gigs of space. Especially if I am not even utilizing the main point of the device, a phone.

nalwine

Dec 27, 2007
Thanks! This is great info. I have another question about the iPhone that seems like it would be a good idea, but I think the answer is no. Does the voice work over WI FI? The reason I ask is because I live in a deep gorge and do not get cell phone signal at my house. If I could get rid of my land line and just use the cell phone then $60/month I would do it in a heartbeat.

Does the iPhone have that capability? If so I haven't read about it anywhere.

Thanks again
Nate

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
There is a third party voip app but I don't know how well it works. It could be loaded on the touch as well I believe but voip will never be supported by Apple as I doubt AT&T would be very happy.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
There's no such thing as "never". AT&T won't be the "only one" forever. Punctuation, however, will be here to stay.