Wondering if it's worth coming back to .Mac (mobile me)

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I left mobileMe about a year ago when I left the iPhone behind. Now that I'm back on the iPhone, I'm really having a tough time deciding if I need to renew my mobileme account. My old email is still available so all I would have to do is reactivate for $99. I have been using gmail for the past year, so other than push, what are the benefits to mobile me?

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I have mobileMe and unfortunately am still finding reasons to keep hanging on. For me, just the syncing of my contacts and calendar of my macs with my iPhone is proving valuable to me. Plus, I now back up to my iDisk which is handy with the iPhone iDisk application. I can access all of my files all of the time. I've not had to use the "find my phone" but if I were to lose it, I'd imagine I'd be pretty pleased to have it.

I've also used it as a quick public FTP to share larger images on occasion.
Not sure if any of those reasons warrant $99 a year but all together, it's worth it to me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Push contacts and calendars, Find My iPhone, 20 GB storage and the iDisk app. You can get it for much less than $99. I got mine for $70 at an Apple Store. Just had to show them my email receipt for my 3GS from 3 weeks prior. You can get it for around $58 on Amazon.com. It's well worth it to me.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
On Amazon or Ebay you are buying the "activation code." It has nothing to do with your email. I personally make sure it comes in the shrink wrapped box which has the code inside. I am not interested in someone emailing a code that may or may not work. Remember, at the Apple store they push the discounted Mobile Me when you buy iPhone's and people sometimes never use it.

I bought the family pack with 5 addresses for $91 instead of $149

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Alot of people knock the service but I actually love it. I got hooked during my free trial after the release of iPhone V1. I remember when I upgraded to 3G, the ATT rep was like "now all you have to do is go home and sync with iTunes and get all your contacts." I showed her my phone and told her "nope, my contacts are already here" She asked me how I did it and I just laughed and walked out. But on a serious tip, I love the new email address because is junk mail free. I just use my aol and yahoo for stuff and my MM for personal

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You might see the need if you lost your iPhone. You can get it for less than $100. Where did you hear it would be free soon?

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
I am still disappointed with MobileMe being so unpredictable and losing contact information when entering directly on MobileMe; iDisk is slow and iGallery is another story and I have removed the apps from my phone ------ but misplace your phone just once and have to use "Find My Phone" and it is worth every penny.