Wondering why this app's icon doesn't always display as a squircle

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Of the many apps I have now (and have ever had), only one fails to display its icon as a squircle when not on the home screen.

Please allow me to illustrate. On the home screen, the app's icon appears normal, with the light blue color completely filling up the squircle:

on home screen.jpg

On the "Use Cellular Data For" and on the "Manage [Local] Storage" screens, the light blue color of the app's icon makes up a perfect square and stops right there. Extra black space is added (by iOS, I'm assuming) to fill out the square's edges and make it into a squircle (see arrows):

use_cellular_data.jpg on_the_manage_storage_screen.jpg

Since each and every other app icon, without fail, has been a squircle, I'm tempted to think Apple wants (or perhaps even requires) developers to provide squircle-shaped app icons for their apps. If there's an app developer reading this, am I correct? And if I am, why did Apple not reject this app's icon and make the developer re-do the icon so that it always displays as a squircle?

Do you have any apps whose icons exhibit the behavior of this app's icon?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Soak the icon in gallium. It'll clear it right up.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It doesn't have anything to do with the shape of the icon the developer submitted. You can see the originals if you look in the file system (jailbroken only). They are all submitted as squares and then iOS automatically applies a mask (basically Photoshop overlays) to the icons to achieve the "squircle" shape. We can apply our own masks when we make custom themes on jailbroken phones. You can also adjust the size of the small icons on the settings screens or give them a different icon from the one that shows up on the home screen.

As far as the black border around on the image on those two screens, I'm pretty sure it is because small image isn't properly sized for the iOS UI, which makes it too small for the mask. The developer could fix this, or you could do it yourself, by adjusting the image size for the small icon. I look for things like this when I theme and spend a lot of time making adjustments to get it perfect. It used to be quite simple, but it has become tedious with the UI changes Apple has made over the years. If I get bored enough tonight, I might install the app and make some size adjustments to see if I can fix it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here's an example. I purposely messed this up to show how image sizes affect these screens. Notice how the Twitter icon is square since the mask isn't applying correctly.

image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh, it's interesting that jailbreaking gives you such fine control over such minute details. I will let you do it, as I'm obviously not jailbroken. It's too bad that even if you fixed it, I can't take advantage of it; I will be content simply to admire it on your screenshot if you decide to go through with it.

I'm wondering why a developer would go through all the trouble involved in actually programming the app, but then not bother to correctly size their app icon, something that any schmuck can do with Photoshop or an analog thereof.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I suggest that you send your information to the app developer so they can fix it. This is a perfect example of how coding problems can slip past Apple during the app approval process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List