Wondering

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by pgreen7436, Sep 6, 2012.

1. pgreen7436

pgreen7436 New Member

What the idea is behind charging long time customers for adapters to make the device work with not that old of equipment. It would be nice if Apple would give at least one adapter away with every iPhone 5. Might ease the pain some.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Good question. I guess they figure that not everyone will use the adapter and those who need it, won't mind spending the $10-$20 to make all of their older accessories work. If they are the only ones permitted to sell the mini dock adapters, that's a pretty crappy move on their part.

#2 chris, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Apple has made a habit of eschewing interconnects abruptly, in favor of quickly moving forward. If they didn't, we'd all still be rocking FireWire and 1" thick iPods. They used to not make the adapters, though, and left that to third-party companies (e.g. charger adapters that turned FireWire charging accessories into accessories that would charge modern iPods and iPhones).

As for why Apple would charge for it....that's just what Apple does. There's a chance they'll include one with the first round of iPhones and iPods that use the new connector, but that won't last for long. They like to keep every single piece of electronics they make turning a profit of its own, from the headphones to the computers. They're not the type of company that will forever subsidize an adapter that clings to deprecated technology.

I am frankly surprised the iPod and iPhone boxes still contain a USB cable.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Probably be $29 like every other adapter / cord they sell :-(

#4 RoofMonkey, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  5. pgreen7436

pgreen7436 New Member

Ouch! I thought $10 would be high. Oh well. Guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out.

6. BobMcfish

BobMcfish New Member

In their defence they replaced my ailing and battered 1st Gen 4Gb Nano with a shiny 6th Gen 8Gb one free of charge. They also replaced my girlfriend's smashed iPhone 3gs screen FOC. They also swapped my 3gs for a 4s for £60 because they couldn't unlock it and neither could my mobile network provider (who it was locked to)