Words With Friends App Name/Icon Fiasco of 2014

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have noticed a serious oddity in the Words With Friends app icons. The icon for the game located in the App Store's list of updated apps is different from the app icon of the installed app. I already checked in the App Store to see if by accident I was looking at two different versions of the icon for the free and non-free editions of the game, but such is not the case. Attached you will find both versions of the app icon, a St. Patrick's edition of the icon and a standard, non-festive variant. I've never seen this phenomenon before. Anyone know the reason for this discrepancy?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Could a mod please change this thread's title from "Oddity in Words With Friends App Icons" to "Words With Friends App Icon Discrepancy"?

Please and thank you.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thread title changed.

Despite showing a different icon in the updates list, Zynga hasn't updated the actual app icon yet. Give it time. They aren't exactly on the ball.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Dressed for the holiday. You see a lot of that during Christmas. But why doesn't it show that way in your folder? Also, I don't have the app on my screen. But in my purchased list it shows as yours does in your folder. They also show that way when I search them. I swiped through all 500 or so apps I got when I searched "Words With Friends", and none were the St. Pats icon. But in the Featured section under Word Games, it shows the St. Pats version. It is odd.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
There's some kind of voodoo affecting the version of Words With Friends on my phone. Europa can share her humorous, invalid words from the game on her social networks but I can't. She has posted the screenshot where Words With Friends offers her that functionality. And at that point, we had the exact same build number of the app. My version has never granted me that privilege!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
There's some kind of voodoo affecting the version of Words With Friends on my phone. Europa can share her humorous, invalid words from the game on her social networks but I can't. She has posted the screenshot where Words With Friends offers her that functionality. And at that point, we had the exact same build number of the app.
Voodoo had actually crossed my mind when considering all the odd issues you run into. I hope you get it all straightened out. iTunes might could give you the developers email address. One that would actually reach them. They've done it for me several times.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The Words With Friends app received an update today, and the result is nothing short of absolute chaos and pandemonium. The app now presents itself to the user with no fewer than three (3) different names. This may be a case of ADID (App Dissociative Identity Disorder).

On the app update screen, you see the name "Words With Friends Pro" (see Exhibit A, below). On your home screen, the app masquerades as "Words Paid" (Exhibit B). Then, finally, once you launch the app, the app dons a dauntinginly unspecific "Words With Friends" logo (Exhibit C).

Inexplicably, the app retains its St. Patrick's Day-themed logo on the app update screen, even though that holiday came and went a full three days ago.

(Click any of the thumbnails below to enlarge it to full size.)

Exhibit A:

WWF Pro.PNG

Exhibit B:

WWF Paid.PNG

Exhibit C:

WWF.PNG

I hate to be a pest, but I decided not to start a brand-new thread, but now the thread title needs an update in order to remain applicable. Could a mod please change this thread's name to: "Words With Friends App Name/Icon Fiasco of 2014"? (Not including the quotation marks)... Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Fiasco? That's too mild.

I think the thread should be retitled: "WWF Gate"

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Jailbreak, icon renamer tweak / change icon to whatever you like.
/end fiasco
;)