Words With Friends

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
Has anyone noticed with the newest update when you quit a game you now are prompted with a new popup that only gives you the options of rematching or starting a new game with a random? The only way to decline these options is to click this little x in the corner that almost always takes at least 2 or 3 clicks bc it is so small. If you end a game, most of the time you just wanted to end the game. Why do they make the most popular option so difficult? What was wrong with the old popup that just let u click "ok" and be done like u wanted to?! Yet another insanely irritating "fix" to something that wasn't broken in this game.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Has anyone noticed with the newest update when you quit a game you now are prompted with a new popup that only gives you the options of rematching or starting a new game with a random? The only way to decline these options is to click this little x in the corner that almost always takes at least 2 or 3 clicks bc it is so small. If you end a game, most of the time you just wanted to end the game. Why do they make the most popular option so difficult? What was wrong with the old popup that just let u click "ok" and be done like u wanted to?! Yet another insanely irritating "fix" to something that wasn't broken in this game.
I almost always want to rematch... I can't remember the size of the button being a problem for me, I didn't even notice it was abnormally small as you claim it is... Is it really that "insanely irritating" to you?

For me, the only thing that was ever insanely irritating about the iPhone, as far as I can remember, was that automatic switch to landscape mode when you held the phone in a horizontal orientation, but that was before Apple introduced the orientation lock option. It was always a problem when I went from an upright position to lying down on my side.

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
This isn't a problem with the iPhone, but a game. And yes, it is insanely irritating when they change something that works and make it less functional. Why would you quit and then rematch? The only time I quit is when the person is not a challenge or takes forever to go so I can free up the space for a new opponent

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This isn't a problem with the iPhone, but a game. And yes, it is insanely irritating when they change something that works and make it less functional. Why would you quit and then rematch? The only time I quit is when the person is not a challenge or takes forever to go so I can free up the space for a new opponent
If I just finish beating someone, I don't re-match right away. I wait for them to see their notice of defeat and give them a chance to re-match. The reason for this is that if I re-match right away, then they almost always also select re-match. Then two new games are spawned out of the one that just ended, and this isn't always what I want. After some time has passed since the end of the game, I go back and re-match if they haven't done so.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Did anyone else suddenly find that the Word-o-Meter feature is suddenly enabled in their WWF app? Last night, I briefly visited the WWF "Store", which features all of two additions to the game, both of which I consider rip-offs. I left without buying a thing, of course. This morning, both the Word-o-Meter and the Tile Counter are suddenly enabled. I'm clueless as to why.

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone downloaded the latest update? I like the new tiles but the game goes back and starts from the load screen every time you close it. This is what i hate about draw something, its like youre opening it for the first time every time. I wish I could revert to the last edition, it was much quicker!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Anyone downloaded the latest update? I like the new tiles but the game goes back and starts from the load screen every time you close it. This is what i hate about draw something, its like youre opening it for the first time every time. I wish I could revert to the last edition, it was much quicker!
Reverting to previous version is easy. If you haven't synced with iTunes yet, just delete the app on your phone and sync with iTunes. It will put the previous version on. If you have already synced with iTunes, delete the app on your phone and delete the app in iTunes. Now take the WWF ipa out of your trash can and drag it into iTunes and sync.

MJCrz

May 9, 2012
Chicago, IL.
Words with friends are actually fun but Draw something is enjoyable tho, especially when they are drawing that is completely different to what they suppose to draw.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
No have you played scramble with friends? They make you buy tokens to play even on the paid version!
I know what you mean, and it sucks, but when you think about it, Words With Friends is no different. The tokens in Scramble give you perks that are by no means necessary to play and enjoy the game. Words With Friends offers you perks (Word-o-Meter, Tile Pile) that you can pay for but are equally unnecessary for that game. Visit the WWF store and you'll see the Word-o-Meter says Quantity: 99. I can only assume this means you get 99 uses of it and then you have to buy it again. I think I've played WWF long enough to know when my word sucks or not, so I don't think I'll be buying any uses of that Word-o-Meter anytime soon. I would honestly prefer to pay $9.99 for 99 tomatoes that I get to throw at 99 people who are stupid enough to buy this.

UPDATE: I just remembered that the Mighty Eagle in Angry Birds Space also operates on a pay-per-use model. Again, it's a perk that is not crucial for gameplay. But I don't think of Rovio as being anywhere near as bad as Zynga. Zynga is extremely money-hungry and they border on abusive in the way they do this. If you've ever played their CityVille or FarmVille, for example, then you know what I mean. Some of the crap they wanna charge you real money for is outrageous.

Attachments

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks Europa.

And chris walken, I think Draw Something is one of the most boring games I've played on any device

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I was in the middle of a Words With Friends game, and I swapped some tiles out. Then my opponent swapped tiles out when it was his move. After that, I swapped tiles yet again, and the game then ended suddenly and unexpectedly, and I was declared the winner. The score was 233 / 186 in my favor, and there were 26 letters remaining. Any idea what caused the abrupt end?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I was in the middle of a Words With Friends game, and I swapped some tiles out. Then my opponent swapped tiles out when it was his move. After that, I swapped tiles yet again, and the game then ended suddenly and unexpectedly, and I was declared the winner. The score was 233 / 186 in my favor, and there were 26 letters remaining. Any idea what caused the abrupt end?
Multiple back and forth passing is taken by the game to mean that there is a stalemate of sorts (in that it is likely that no is able play). In this case, the player who currently has the higher score is the winner of the game. While it may seem frustrating at first encounter, it is a reasonable rule as it can prevent the lower scoring player from consistently passing their turn so as to avoid making a potentially weaker move. It forces them to at least make a move of some form. Of course, if there really is nowhere to play, the rule has the intended effect of ending a potentially cumbersome "passing marathon".

Aug 28, 2012
I play this with my kids and friends and love it! it is perfect for passing time and exercising my brain lol

Sep 1, 2012
I am so totally addicted to Words with Friends that it's what I sign into whenever I have spare time between appointments or during commercials. It keeps your spelling and vocabulary up to snuff!

Mar 23, 2009
I never imagined I could play a game of Scrabble with someone I know from Junior High School over 38 years ago and over 300 miles away. We play nightly and have great fun. I love modern technololgy.