"Workaround" to making Notes/Tasks/Lists on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Not sure if someone else has posted something like this, but wanted to share...

Coming from WM- I too was bummed that there is no Tasks function or true Notes (that you can edit and sync from your computer)...

Everyday at work, I NEED to constantly refer to certain long "Lists" ... so I am using this is my "workaround" until Apple allows us to sync notes from the desktop:

1) Create a new Gmail (or Yahoo, etc) Email address (Don't forget to enable POP)
example: plasmo.notes@gmail.com

2) Cut & paste your old "notes" (or write new ones) and send them to the new Gmail address; You can separate them into different Topics, etc.
(I cut and pasted all my old Tasks/Notes that I used to from my WM device into separate emails on this new Gmail account to put on my iPhone)

3) Allow your iPhone to access this new Gmail account as your secondary email account.

Now you have a easily accessable Task List/Notes that you can edit and modify that will be synced wirelessly from any desktop just by clicking into the secondary email/notes account!

The advantage to this method: Your Notes/Lists are already stored on your iPhone and quickly accessable...Instead of using a sluggish "WebApp ToDo list" over EDGE...plus no need to "sign in"!

Hope this helps someone! :)

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
How do you edit/modify an existing email? When in the Mail app, the only way I can see to modify an email "ToDo" list is to send a reply. Then I'd have a cascade of email replies every time I completed another task.

Also, how does this sync w my desktop? Are you referring to enabling iTunes email syncing w Outlook on the desktop?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
How do you edit/modify an existing email? When in the Mail app, the only way I can see to modify an email "ToDo" list is to send a reply. Then I'd have a cascade of email replies every time I completed another task.

Also, how does this sync w my desktop? Are you referring to enabling iTunes email syncing w Outlook on the desktop?
Yes, this is only a quick and dirty workaround, so in order to modify a Note, you would "reply" back to yourself with the changes, and delete the original email "note".

At least this way, I can put all my "lists" onto the iPhone and quickly access them.

As far as "sync"ing the notes, it's just email, so you can log into the email account from (any) desktop to view/change them.