Worldphone = unlock ?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
So I get confusing answers at the AT&T stores. Everyone and the phone reps tell me something different.
When they say world phone does it mean it is unlocked (carrier)?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
In the US especially from a carrier, not currently, though the US Apple store is expected to carry a GSM unlocked unit in the future.

A "world phone" is terminology for a CDMA phone that also has a GSM antenna for roaming compatibility with the carrier's international GSM-based partners.

In Canada though, there is a precedent for a CDMA-GSM "world phone" that had it's GSM antenna unlocked out of the box accept to Canadian GSM providers.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Just means it will support different carriers frequency

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
yeah that is what I said I keep getting fom AT&T employees I can use it with any sim card in other countries
then I said AT&T has a carrier lock and then the stories get strange

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I heard the unlocked version of the 4S will come out next month.
In Canada, the Apple store only sells unlocked units from day one.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Just means it will support different carriers frequency
Actually it's different carrier's system not different frequencies. If that were true then you could use a phone purchased for AT&T on T-Mobile and you'd get 3G on both. That doesn't happen because they both use diferent frequencies for their 3G while using the same technology (GSM).

That question would be better asked to Sprint or to Verizon when they get a 4S and even then a store employee probably won't have information. An AT&T employee definitely won't have the information because they don't really need it to be "world phone" since most of the world uses GSM so their most basic phones work almost everywhere.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
if you buy from Apple uk its unlocked.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
If you buy from almost anywhere in the world it's unlocked. It's just that AT&T here that loves to have them locked even after you pay the 2 years.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
If you buy from almost anywhere in the world it's unlocked. It's just that AT&T here that loves to have them locked even after you pay the 2 years.
could you not buy a 4s from another country ?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yes you can as soon as they're available. I bought my factory unlocked 3Gs in Germany on one of my flights over there. Now I just worry about JB for the apps and if a JB comes out without the possibility of an unlock I don't worry about it. The reason people buy them here locked is easy.
1- they don't travel overseas much
2- you can get them subsidized by the carrier so you get a $700 phone for $99

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Yes you can as soon as they're available. I bought my factory unlocked 3Gs in Germany on one of my flights over there. Now I just worry about JB for the apps and if a JB comes out without the possibility of an unlock I don't worry about it. The reason people buy them here locked is easy.
1- they don't travel overseas much
2- you can get them subsidized by the carrier so you get a $700 phone for $99
Free even.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Wow a 3 year contract plus I have to use it in Canada only and it's a 4 not a 4S? I'll pay the $99 thanks.
I think you missed the point...you asked where, and ip5 answered it loud and clear for you. iPhone 4 for free.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app