Worried about my eyesight

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Hey. I'm very worried about my eyesight. I've had my prescription updated twice in a year, and as I'm getting ready for another eye-exam I need a new prescription. I usually get 1 prescription a year. I fear my iPad (and iPhone) is ruining my eyesight. Will taking out my contacts while using my iPad help? Ive heard glasses allow your eyes to become lazy and thus ruin them even more. What about the brightness? I got it at about 35%. I'm usually in the basement so ifni turn off the light will it help? I've gotten these ideas on google and I'm not so certain. Im hoping my dr is right and im just changing rapidly becasuse of my age, he doesn't know how much I'm on electronic devices with a LCD screen with glare. There are tons of people here with iPads and iPhones and use them much daily. Have you noticed a change in eyesight? What can I do to prevent them from becoming worse or make my eyesight better. I haven't had a good carrot in a while......Thanks!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Weight fluctuation can also change your eyesight.
It depends on what you need contacts / glasses for if you can take them off to read, etc...

Sent from my iPhone

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am honestly too lazy to read all of that, but you must know that eye glasses are much better, safer, and healtheir than contacts, even though I wear contacts myself. Get anti-glare/anti-reflection eyeglasses and wear them while using any screen-operated device. But in all honesty, whether you wear contacts or eyeglasses, the amount of time you spend on those devices are really what damage your eyes.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Weight fluctuation can also change your eyesight.
It depends on what you need contacts / glasses for if you can take them off to read, etc...

Sent from my iPhone
God I hope I'm losing weight and not gaining.

I'm near-sighted.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I am honestly too lazy to read all of that, but you must know that eye glasses are much better, safer, and healtheir than contacts, even though I wear contacts myself. Get anti-glare/anti-reflection eyeglasses and wear them while using any screen-operated device. But in all honesty, whether you wear contacts or eyeglasses, the amount of time you spend on those devices are really what damage your eyes.
Yeah we are planning on getting my glasses updated. Thanks for the advice

Aug 31, 2010
I didn't need glasses until I was 15. Then my eyes changed rapidly, same as yours - new prescription every time I went in. My prescription stopped changing at about 17 and it hasn't changed since. My eyes aren't even that bad (-3.00). It seems scary, but sometimes that's just how it works!

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
It may seem like Thats a lot of changes but even a tiny change can effect your prescription. Mine changes almost everytime I get an exam. It's not really a big deal but if your really concerned about it why don't you ask your optometrist when you go in? They can give you much better advice then us or google and that's what your paying them for.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I didn't need glasses until I was 15. Then my eyes changed rapidly, same as yours - new prescription every time I went in. My prescription stopped changing at about 17 and it hasn't changed since. My eyes aren't even that bad (-3.00). It seems scary, but sometimes that's just how it works!
Good I'm hoping they stop changing soon! I don't know how bad my eyes are but I'm sure they are worse then that.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
It may seem like Thats a lot of changes but even a tiny change can effect your prescription. Mine changes almost everytime I get an exam. It's not really a big deal but if your really concerned about it why don't you ask your optometrist when you go in? They can give you much better advice then us or google and that's what your paying them for.
I know, but it's bad when you got to go in for an extra exam that isn't supposed to take place and you get a change. But when I got them updated I could see things farther away and smaller, and tonight in walmart I couldn't see the sign from about 20ft and large print, where I could usually see a sigh 30ft away and smaller print. (Ft may not be accurate, just an example.)

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
also, there is the thing that you spend all day in front of the computer :D

course i can't say anything, but i'm not complaining here. i'm actually getting a field vision test tomorrow.

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Mac, im near sighted as well. When I spend a lot of time reading posts and such on my iPad & iPod, it takes a while for my eyes to adjust back. Ask your doctor about bifocal lenses in your glasses. They help you see distance & also read the IPad and all the other devices you have. I know it helped me! Definitely tell your optometrist about the iPad reading, ( everyone who has commented is right!) they are very knowledgeable about that kind if stuff. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Yeah mac, reading posts here all day can hurt your eyes, trying to understand some hurts the brain. not a good combination.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Mac, you also need to know that lots of sugar in the morning can actually restrict blood vessels in the eyes, causing slightly blurry vision.
I am also slightly far-sighted, with an astigmatism in both eyes. I rarely wear my glasses. I was told by an ophthalmologist to do exercises. I am not going to tell you what they are, as the wrong advice could worsen your eyes, but I can say that your eyes have lots of muscles all around them, and if you are only looking ahead andslightly down all the time, you will make some weaker than others. This can EASILY affect your eyesight. Try to look around every 20-30 minutes to give your eyes a break from staring at something directly.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
Mac, you also need to know that lots of sugar in the morning can actually restrict blood vessels in the eyes, causing slightly blurry vision.
I am also slightly far-sighted, with an astigmatism in both eyes. I rarely wear my glasses. I was told by an ophthalmologist to do exercises. I am not going to tell you what they are, as the wrong advice could worsen your eyes, but I can say that your eyes have lots of muscles all around them, and if you are only looking ahead andslightly down all the time, you will make some weaker than others. This can EASILY affect your eyesight. Try to look around every 20-30 minutes to give your eyes a break from staring at something directly.
Dang. No wonder I have horrible eyesight.
I'm either reading for hours, playing on my phone or working in photoshop/illustrator.
I'm -3.0 and -3.25

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I look down all the time, constantly. Thanks for the info. And I guess I shoulda read this post before I ate a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Thanks. Especially with contacts, it causes them to dry out and do funky stuff. Like tonight, I was tracking a ball in the air it was windy, and i wasn't blinking and right as I was catching it my vision got blurry.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Excessive use causes eye strain, but it's unlikely that it would permanently damage your eyesight. Taking breaks helps prevent eye strain.

Wait. Did I just inadvertently encourage you to keep the What are you doing? thread going strong? Never mind what I said. iPhones and computers cause blindness. It's part of their nefarious plan to weaken us before attempting to take over the world.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
1 Excessive use causes eye strain, but it's unlikely that it would permanently damage your eyesight. Taking breaks helps prevent eye strain.

2 Wait. Did I just inadvertently encourage you to keep the What are you doing? thread going strong? Never mind what I said. iPhones and computers cause blindness. It's part of their nefarious plan to weaken us before attempting to take over the world.
1- Okay thanks.
2- :D Yes, yes you did. So I'm good with my iPad then? Cause it's not an iPhone or computer. ;) If Apple takes over the world that's okay.