Worth An Upgrade

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I've been looking on Intel's site and even google but couldn't find a direct answer so I hope you guys can help. I bought a new MBP March this year 15" 2.53 GHz & I was wondering is it really worth upgrading to i5 2.53?

I basically do a lot of home use but on occasion I edit home videos of my child. I guess what I'm trying to ask is will there be a huge speed difference? Or would it be more economical to have my HD upgraded from 250 to 500 & keep the machine I already have?

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I've been looking on Intel's site and even google but couldn't find a direct answer so I hope you guys can help. I bought a new MBP March this year 15" 2.53 GHz & I was wondering is it really worth upgrading to i5 2.53?

I basically do a lot of home use but on occasion I edit home videos of my child. I guess what I'm trying to ask is will there be a huge speed difference? Or would it be more economical to have my HD upgraded from 250 to 500 & keep the machine I already have?
Sorry for the late reply, and I'm sure you've already made your decision, but I would personally stick with your 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo machine. The i5 would be nice to have. If you have the money to upgrade, go for it. Maybe you can give the C2D laptop to your wife or kid. I do lots of video editing on my 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo MBP, and for the most part, I'm satisfied. I'd loooveee to have the Core i7 model, but this current one suits me fine (if that makes any sense).

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
A very late reply but you replied just in time. With Wednesday's announcement of Lion, I decided to wait til next year just in case There is a hardware enhancement needed to will allow lion to run smoother.

saige1r

Bronze
Mar 12, 2010
I'd wait until a hardware refresh at the least. Also, keep checking the refurbs as some really good deals will show up on there (rarely tho) and the refurbs come with the same warranty as a new MBP. Plus, it's a mac, and it'll last forever anyway. I have the original macbook and it's still going strong. I use this thing everyday and carry it to and from work, and it's solid. Can't say the same for the slow, cheapo dell my friend had for 2 years. That thing wouldn't even stay open and you had to prop up the screen against a pillow or some books to keep it up. Garbage. And to think I used to be a hardcore PC guy...