Worth Getting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TwisterX

Sep 23, 2007
Hey, this is my first time here :), I know there are already a lot of posts about this but i recently heard about the 2008 iPhone. Will they be updating the 2007 iPhones with 3G and everything? If not do you think I should just wait till 2008 for the 2008 iPhone? I can't wait till the iPhone gets released to Britain but i don't want to waste a few hundred quid on a phone that will get released again and will probably cost more.

Thanks for reading.

TwisterX.

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong area, im not sure where to put it.
PSS: Please don't flame or spam me, this is my first post =<

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to EIP.

If I were you, I would buy the iPhone now. Apple has said that they are working on a new iPhone, but there is no official word of when it will come out and what it will include. No matter what model you buy, there will always be another better one that comes out after your purchase.

Hope you love it as much as me. :laugh2:

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Yep I gotta throw in my lot with everyone else BUY! Like someone already said, no matter what you do, there is always going to be something bigger,better and faster that is rumored to come out. It isn't worth the wait. I picked up my iPhone when the 4 gig dropped to $299 I said that my limit was going to be $300 bucks and when I saw it, worth every penny so far.

You really have to ask yourself, what you do, what you want the iPhone for? Never expect a phone to replace what you can do on a full PC/Mac. That being said, I came from a Treo 750 and an AT&T 8525 and the iPhone for me blows them out of the water. It just works well for me and the UI is great. I lost the push email, but the more I thought about it, that really wasn't all that important anyway. My gmail checks every 15 and thats enough. I could sit here and go on and on about the iPhone but just read what other people have posted here and decide for yourself. Keep in mind too, that for every negative thing you hear there are probably 10 people that have positive feelings that just don't really feel they need to post. Good Luck on your iPhone descision

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was first in line to buy one on iDay. I've only been sorry about that purchase for the one day that Apple lowered the price to $399. After getting the $100 store credit, I was happy again. It's worth the money just like it is. I wish it had some phone features that are available on other models, but if you like an iPod, then you'll love this phone.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Just hang out here for awhile and look through a few pages of each section, you'll see atleast 90% of people on these forums are extremely happy with their phones. The other 10% just can't be satisfied with anything...(I fall into this category often...:p)

Welcome, buy, enjoy...;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The only thing that would really differ from the 2007 to the 2008 will be 3G IF, and I mean IF a radio chip for 3G can be made that consumes about half or less power than the current chips out there.
There might be some other hardware changes, like larger storeage capacity, but nothing significant enough to really wait for. Most everything that people want from the iPhone that currently isn't on there can be updated through software.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The only thing that would really differ from the 2007 to the 2008 will be 3G IF, and I mean IF a radio chip for 3G can be made that consumes about half or less power than the current chips out there.
There might be some other hardware changes, like larger storeage capacity, but nothing significant enough to really wait for. Most everything that people want from the iPhone that currently isn't on there can be updated through software.
I believe that a larger capacity model would come out before 3g, or hell, maybe both, sweet!

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I say buy now, especially with the price drop. Like everyone else said, there will always be something coming up, might as well buy now.

Derek Gisriel

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Great Phone!

I was unsure about the switch. I have had PPC and Palm (a couple of crackberries, too :laugh2:). However, two weeks in, I am still very pleased with this phone. I never owned an iPod because I never could justify the cost. Now I listen to music all the time, watch a couple of videos on YouTube, read emails and even use Xpressmail web client for my exchange emails. It isn't the same as the other businesss phone I have used but, the tradeoff has well been worth the experience.

Well, that playlist has completed and I have to get back to work.

;)

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
So far I've been happy with mine. If you are really wanting to get one, I'd say do it. There are always better versions of devices on the horizon, so it is a waste of time to wait for something better I think.

I haven't surf'd much on the edge network. From what little I have, it is hit and miss with being decently fast and annoying slow. I tend to just log onto the beejive.com site (i think that's the url) to chat when on the edge network.

As far as negative things dealing with the iPhone, I would say the things that annoy me most are:
1) Poor volume for the built in speaker. Then again, I think it only has one speaker, so this is no big deal.
2) Software crashes. This is annoying and hopefully they keep fixing them. It has gotten better with patches. I've found while trying to do to much to fast, it will crash and go back to the home screen. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is annoying when it does it while surfing or checking mail.
3) Poor signal strength in buildings. I have friends that use a low cost AT&T cell and I had verizon, and every one gets better signal strength then the iPhone.
4) Having to buy a headphone extender to use my existing ipod/tape deck converter is annoying.

With that being said, I'm very happy I bought the iPhone. Having the browser was worth the price alone, and the interface seems to work well. Overall the device kicks butt.