worth jailbreaking?

2miln4

Apr 5, 2009
someone please help me, is it worth it to jailbreak an iPhone 3g firm 2.2.1 when Apple is going to release OS 3.0 in a few months? Anything will help. And after you do jailbreak an iPhone, can you still download apps from the app store?

Thank you, and sorry if this has been posted before.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, it's worth it, it's free to jailbreak, so your just looking at a bit of time setting up the new software. The real question is do you want to spend money on jailbreak apps (lots are still free) when some of those apps will be put out of businesss with Apples new software. And yes, you can still download apps from the app store, like you could before.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Yes. Even with 3.0 coming out this summer, it still won't offer a lot of mods a Jailbroken has access to.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I don't think it's worth it--nothing but headaches.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Definitely NOT worth jailbreaking.. It slows everything down, everything crashes, the entire device does not run smoothly at all.... however, you do get acess to a lot of features that Apple doesn't allow.
Now, i beg to wonder why.. With ALL the complaints that people post on this forum, ALL of them have jailbroken devices.. makes ya wonder..
Now i know im gonna get tons of slack for this.. but its just not worth it.. With the release of OS 3.0 you will have most of the features released from APPLE, and can ensure a smoth operating device.:cool:

Let the flaming begin!:cool:

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
It was totally worth jailbreaking to me. Landscape texting and the backgrounder itself made it worth while, not to mention the toggles you can setup for bluetooth and all the from the springboard. I was fortunate, I never had issues after I bricked my phone the first two times...After that it was smooth sailing. I've tested 3.0 a bit, and the only thing I would want to jailbreak it for would be backgrounding and the toggles. Ohhh and themes :cool:

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Definitely NOT worth jailbreaking.. It slows everything down, everything crashes, the entire device does not run smoothly at all.... however, you do get acess to a lot of features that Apple doesn't allow.
Now, i beg to wonder why.. With ALL the complaints that people post on this forum, ALL of them have jailbroken devices.. makes ya wonder..
Now i know im gonna get tons of slack for this.. but its just not worth it.. With the release of OS 3.0 you will have most of the features released from APPLE, and can ensure a smoth operating device.:cool:

Let the flaming begin!:cool:
When the OS 2.0 was released, there were a lot of bugs. I'm almost sure that 3.0 will have it's share of bugs.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Really whether it's worth it is up to the individual, and hell, we don't even know what he is interested in to want to jailbreak.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Yes.. this is very true.. i was just offering a buyer beware, based on all the complaints i read on this forum, and another one.

2miln4

Apr 5, 2009
well i meant is it worth it because of the paid apps that you can download off torrents without paying and put them in the phone.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
the lag and issues are very minimal. jailbreaking is DEFINITELY worth it. anyone who has issues and thinks it isn't worth it is either too lazy to simply restore and jailbreak or too ignorant to hit the search button and figure out a fix for their problems.

2miln4

Apr 5, 2009
thanks for all your responses, but I have one more question. If lets say my phone gets bricked in the process of jailbreaking, then is there any way to fix it?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'll put it this way, i have jailbroken over 100 times and never had a bricked iPhone due to jailbreaking. if something goes wrong you can always fix it by putting it into dfu mode and restoring.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
if you run into any issues pm me and i will help you out, thats why i'm here (that and i'm a dickhead)

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
The only app I found that bricked mine was Kate (utility deal) Other then that, worked like a champ

2miln4

Apr 5, 2009
I just have a few more questions:

1. so the paid apps that you can download off torrents, after i jailbreak my phone then i can put them on it and it will work right?

2. What is a DFU, as stated in a post a few before this one

3. if i jailbreak with 2.2.1, then that means that i wont be able to unlock it in the future?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
1. don't talk about apps that are cracked or downloaded via torrents on this site.

2. DFU mode is short for device firmware upgrade). sometimes if you do the process wrong or get a corrupt firmware file your iPhone will have to be restored. people have complained about not being able to do it (hence the "I BRICKED MY iPhone" threads). all you have to do is put it into dfu mode (plug into computer, turn iPhone off, hold home and power together for 10 seconds, release power and hold home still for 10 more seconds) and your computer will recognize your iPhone and allow you to restore, its quite simple.

3. if you upgrade to 2.2.1 you already cannot unlock (at the present time) as it upgrades your baseband. there may be an unlock for 2.2.1 out in the future, but if you haven't upgraded as of yet i would recommend staying on 2.2. jailbreaking has no change on your ability to unlock in the future, it depends on the firmware and baseband you are running.