Worth the upgrade....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaw2k9, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Ok, so I am now eligible to upgrade, I have the 4, not 4s. It's working fine, but sometimes it is near/at capacity (8gb model). Should I upgrade now, or wait say until the next version - not meaning to be a pest on this, rather, soliciting input. I am leaning to upgrade.

If I do upgrade, thoughts on value of the old one (to help defray cost of the new?) It's in a element vapor pro (with the plastic insert) black ops case....

So, on the Apple site, it claims a 3 to 4 week delay - anyway to learn if any stores (ATT or Apple) have them in stock - without calling?

Thanks!

2. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

See my reply under topic titled "I got mine overnight"

3. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

Well worth the upgrade- Larger screen- faster speeds and longer battery life

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There are a couple of things you should consider before upgrading. I'm sure you thought of some of these already.

Do you have LTE in your area, and do you have a need for the increased speed of cellular data transfer?
    How do you feel about the increased screen size?
    Are you okay with its increased vulnerability to scratches ("Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal."--those are Phil Schiller's own words)
    Are you okay with the fact that your existing cables (and some accessories) will be rendered obsolete?

As far as avoiding the three-to-four week delay, brdmsd 's suggestion worked for a friend of mine. This applies to Apple Store. I don't know what to tell you about AT&T stores.

5. bparkerson04

bparkerson04 Member
    Bronze

Yes yes yes! If anything get it for the upgraded internals so future iOS updates will run properly. Plus you will be going from a single to dual core processor. It is absolutely worth it. I would say wait only if you had a 4s.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it's worth upgrading. You can actually upgrade for free. You can sell your 8 GB iPhone 4 for about $200 on craigslist (buyer pays actual value since they aren't getting any subsidy or renewing their contract) and buy a 16 GB iPhone 5 for $200. AT&T will likely credit you back the $36 upgrade fee after you receive the phone if you call or do the online chat and request that. The 16 GB iPhone 5s are in the highest demand, so you're looking at the longest wait (64 GB would ship within a day or two), but it might only be a couple weeks. My 32 GB shipped a little over a week after I ordered it.

7. rattlhed

rattlhed Member
    Bronze

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the 5. My phone came last Monday, so I've had almost a week to put it through its paces. To quickly summarize, I absolutely love this phone!

Here are my initial thoughts. The phone is amazingly fast. Coming from the 4 model, this this is a HUGE upgrade in terms of performance. It reminds me from my upgrade from the 3 (not 3s) to the 4. There is zero delay in doing anything in the iPhone 5. Menus, navigation, web surfing, everything is just so amazingly responsive. A huge difference. Don't get me wrong, my 4 was working fine, but this is just a huge upgrade.

The LTE is just as fast as my home network. 4G is amazing. I have to admit, all of my friends with their andriod phones were raving about it a year ago, but I kinda poo pooed it. Well, they were right. And with the speed of the processor in this phone, web pages load almost instantaneously. I don't even worry about connecting to my home wireless any more (I am grandfathered under AT&T's unlimited data plan). It's just that fast. Coverage is really good in the Seattle area too.

The larger screen is very nice to have. Email and web browsing are much improved with the real-estate.

So far I've had no issues with the iOS maps app. And turn by turn instructions from Siri is so nice to have now. Plus, because I didn't have Siri with the 4, this is my first time using it. It's great to be able to do hands free operation while driving. Making calls, text messaging, directions, etc. Very cool.

Battery life has been good. I would say about on par with my 4. The battery meter seems to drain quicker than on the 4, but when I get down to 20% remaining, that lasts a lot longer than it should, so I think it might be a way the phone reads the remaining charge in the battery. I did a test where i put the phone through its paces during an entire day. I went from 100% to 20% in about 7 hours, but that last 20% lasted another 3 (this is constant streaming over data network plus phone calls). So I estimate about 10 hours of hard usage on one charge.

As you can tell, I'm very happy with the phone. I do have a Zagg invisible shield on the way for the front and back. I've been using those since my iPhone 3, and they do a great job without adding bulk to the phone. So right now I'm babying the heck out of my phone until I have some protection on it. So far so good. I would say the upgrade will make you very happy and would highly recommend it if you love the iPhone experience.

8. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Nicely done.

9. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

The short answer: Yes!
    It is worth it ! :)

10. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

Of course it's worth it! I also went from the 4 to the 5 ( skipped the 4S), and they're night and day.

11. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Absolutely agree. The 4 now feels chunky and you can really notice the added weight. The OS and UI are very snappy on the 5.

12. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

I did the 10pm thing myself. Like another said - I too had mine snatched away due to slow typing of cc number. But kept trying and was successful on Friday night, with a Saturday pick up - black 32 - which is what I wanted.

Had some issues with getting it started and had to delete and reenter my email, and asked my daughter to type in my contacts, but otherwise, done.

Happy too - so far.

Thanks!