Worth waiting for 3G iPhone in UK?

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Is it worth waiting for the new iPhone? I've seen a couple of threads, but as I'm in the UK there's pretty good 3G coverage. On my current phone (K800i) I'm in 3G right now at my house.

But I'm not desperate for it - it'd be a nice bonus. I've got WiFi at my home...and school, but I don't have the password for school. It was either this or the TyTN II, but as the TyTN II has crap video playback I decided on the iPhone. And I don't wanna poke about with a Stylus, as my friend as a Touch and I love it.

Is it worth waiting it out until the end of Feb and see if anything definate is said? My current contract expires on the 10/2/08, so in 8days.

Thanks guys!
Keagle

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Alot of us yanks are going to think you mean Oct.2,08.:) Any way, the new iPhone will be June at best and probably later. The other thing is will it be released in the UK at the same time? With you having good 3G coverage I can see your problem. I would probably wait awhile to see if any rumors surface as to when V2 is going to be released. With you having good 3G coverage I know I would really try to wait.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Ah that's a good point :p 10th of Feb 08 is better then! :) Hmm yeah. Okay - I'll wait and see if any rumours are given when the SDK is released and stuff. Yup, it was the 3G coverage that made me pause, as I can actually make use of it. I sent an email of to o2 asking if there is a new version coming out, if they say yes...duh, if they say no and one does come out I shall have a lil' rant at them! :)

Thanks for your reply...though I'm tempted to get one anyway as I don't desperately need 3G, it's just a very big bonus! :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you really don't care about 3G then I would go yesterday and get one. You will get way too much enjoyment out of it in the months before V2. 3G in the States is very spotty so most people tend not to wait. Go get it now. It is the best phone out there. It has a few minuses, but between updates and SDK those should be covered.
And welcome to EIC. There is a ton of knowledge here and very nice people.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for the welcome mate! :) Okay, I'll go and grab one! Thanks mate.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I would say yes go buy... it will be your happiest purchase ever... and then get the new one whenever that comes out and it will be your second best purchase

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I bought my iPhone end of December and I'm so glad I did. I weighed the conseuqncs of getting it now and honestly there was no reason for me to wait. I have a gps and 3g is spotty and could have been more expensive. As for more memory my iPod still works so I still use that primarily for music so I wouldn't need a phone with more memory. So I think you should weight those consequences. If you need that stuff (as those are some of the predicted additions) then wait. If not then go for it. I love the phone. I would say wait for you though as 3g would be awesome if its not so spotty

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Hmm. I'm gonna wait until the SDK is released methinks, and see if any word comes. If not, I'll buy one. Or just get one now...thanks guys! :) I think I'll get one now, as 3g/gps will just be extra bonuses, not musts.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
are you in your car yet driving to the Apple store? Let us know when you buy it

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Nope :p My current contract doesn't expire until the 10th of Feb, so I'll wait for a lil' bit. If I buy one, can I use it as mp3 and stuff until I get a contract?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
When V2 is announced in June, you'll be happy that you bought V1 now instead of waiting. There are only a few things that the iPhone lacks, bit these can all be sorted with the SDK and firmware updates.

Welcome to EIC!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think that this is one of the rare times when I would say wait. I always tell people to get what you want, when you want it, but in your case if you're not in desperate need of a new phone and 3G is prevalent in your area, then I would try and wait it out for the new iPhone with the supposed 3G coverage. Then again, waiting is never easy to do...

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Hmm I'm really not sure, though I think I'll wait. God I easily change my mind! Bett ber worth it though ;) I'm ringing o2 at some point, as a representative could not confirm when a new model would be out and told me to ring them for more information. Yes sir! ;)

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Ahh I'm so tempted to go out and buy one now :s

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Ahh I'm so tempted to go out and buy one now :s
Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It!
:p:laugh2:

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Fineeee! I will get one soon. :p Should I wait until the end of Feb though?

Edit: Fat lot of good o2 were. Rang them, they told me they had no information - which leads me to believe that o2 wont get it at the same time as the USA, as AT&T said it would be this year. I'll buy it now then :)

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Good! And yeh, if you can, I would wait until the end of Feb, just incase anything else is dropped in with the SDK release.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I guess the 16GB is the latest thing, so I'll go grab that. Don't think anything else will be coming :p