Would Apple care about with what provider you use the iPhone?

umurs

Jan 20, 2008
Hey all,

I am wondering this, couple days ago, my i phone stopped working with t-mobile suddenly. It was working fine with 1.1.2 cracked with stealthsim until then.

The next day I upgraded it and unclocked it again with ZiPhone (thanks). Now I use it with 1.1.3. I heard that I phone may send information to Apple without asking you. So Apple can figure out that i am not using the phone with AT&T. Would they care if I use it with AT&T or not? Would they try to stop it in a way? Either sending some software to your phone or some legal way? Now I am thinking maybe they figured out that I was using my phone with other provided and stopped it somehow...

Is it a conspiracy theory? What do you guys think?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
wow! Thats interesting. I do know that the phone sends messages to Apple, but I have no clue about your conspiracy theory. good luck tho!

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
ATT pays royalties back to Apple each month - $10 I believe for each live contract.

So, yes they care!

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Hey all,

I am wondering this, couple days ago, my i phone stopped working with t-mobile suddenly. It was working fine with 1.1.2 cracked with stealthsim until then.

The next day I upgraded it and unclocked it again with ZiPhone (thanks). Now I use it with 1.1.3. I heard that I phone may send information to Apple without asking you. So Apple can figure out that i am not using the phone with AT&T. Would they care if I use it with AT&T or not? Would they try to stop it in a way? Either sending some software to your phone or some legal way? Now I am thinking maybe they figured out that I was using my phone with other provided and stopped it somehow...

Is it a conspiracy theory? What do you guys think?
It does send some information to Apple, but from what I heard it has nothing to do with what carrier, of course I am not sure.

But if they did know, I would absolutely think they would care whether you use AT&T or not. The exclusivity deal isn't just for fun, Apple makes a nice bit of change off the monthy billing of the iPhone AT&T plans, plus I am pretty sure they would want to protect their partner.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
Im not 100% but i don't think they can. Its kind of the same scenario we had back in the day with jailbreaking directv and having a tivo box. It was a big worry back then that tivo sent over your tv viewing to directv for those of us who cough cough received extra channels ;) If memory serves me right something legal came up where they couldn't.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I highly doubt that Apple was responsible for the problems you experienced, however - the phone does have the capability to communicate with Apple, and yes, they most certainly do care about what carrier you have. If you're in the U.S, you must have AT&T in Apple's book. They'll go to lengths to stop it.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think Apple DEFINITELY cares which provider you use. When you use another provider besides At&t, they lose money. I also think the difference between the number of iPhones sold in the US and the number AT&T reports as activated has contributed to the decline in the price of Apple stock.

umurs

Jan 20, 2008
I think Apple DEFINITELY cares which provider you use. When you use another provider besides At&t, they lose money. I also think the difference between the number of iPhones sold in the US and the number AT&T reports as activated has contributed to the decline in the price of Apple stock.

yes it is funny that Apple sold twice as much phones than it is activated by AT&T...hahah

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Im not 100% but i don't think they can. Its kind of the same scenario we had back in the day with jailbreaking directv and having a tivo box. It was a big worry back then that tivo sent over your tv viewing to directv for those of us who cough cough received extra channels ;) If memory serves me right something legal came up where they couldn't.
you're wrong. The iPhone relays info back to Apple via your usage of the stocks and weather apps. There's a thread months ago about this very subject somewhere deep in the forums... Search.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yes it is funny that Apple sold twice as much phones than it is activated by AT&T...hahah
Got a link to that statement?

Last I heard out of the 4 Million or so iPhones sold about 900,000 were unaccounted for on AT&T's 2 year contract.

Apple does care that you are using another carrier, but law says that you CAN unlock your phone. This prevents Apple from re-locking it UNLESS you upgrade the software thus re-submitting a term of service agrement and thus saying you have to re-unlock it. It's a whole legal cat and mouse game, but i like how the big guys aren't winning on this one. Go freedom!

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Got a link to that statement?

Apple does care that you are using another carrier, but law says that you CAN unlock your phone. This prevents Apple from re-locking it UNLESS you upgrade the software thus re-submitting a term of service agrement and thus saying you have to re-unlock it.
Really? What law is that? I have never heard of it before.