Would are some apps for Cydia-free?

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

What are some good free apps for Cydia-free, as in themes, music radio stations, and so on minus games?

Am I posting in the right section, or should this be moved to jailbreaking? I am requesting free apps. I have the iPhone 4 a Verizon customer.

When I say free music radio stations I meant as of 80s, and 90s. I know the app store has them. I don't know about Cydia.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
For themes you need Winterboard. Music stations, well as you said the App Store has them already.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
For themes you need Winterboard. Music stations, well as you said the App Store has them already.
Thank you. I know this isn't the jailbreaking section. Maybe you could help me instead of PM.

I got WinterBoard with a tethered jailbreak. It did a reboot. I was thinking it could on to my home screen. I was reading that the Apple logo will be stuck for ages unless you take the phone, and put it into recovery mode, and then do a restore. Here are my questions below.

1. Every time you do a reboot of a tethered jailbreak, would you get stuck at the Apple logo?

2. If you answer yes, to #1, what's the purpose of tethered?

3. I did not save my SHSH blobs, nor I know what they are. Could I downgrade from 4.2.10 back to 4.2.8? Are there any easy tutorials for version 4.2.8 as for downgrading?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Every time you reboot a tethered jailbroken iDevice you need a computer to boot the device i.e Redsn0w's Tethered boot feature.

There is no purpose to a tethered jailbreak, the exploit jailbreaks the device but whether it's tethered or not depends on how good the hacker is :)

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
So, what you're saying is that I can't power on my device if it reboots as a tethered jailbreak where I would get locked down at the Apple logo? If you're not saying that, then why did I get stuck at the logo?

What feature do you for jailbreaking? Do you use Redsnow, or could you tell me what you use?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you use a jailbreak which is "tethered" - every time the device reboots, turns off, runs out of battery etc etc you will need to use a computer with relevant tools to boot the phone back to a working jailbroken state.

I don't use tethered jailbreaks on iPhones only on the iPad, my phone is too important for it to be rendered useless if I don't have a computer to hand.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
If you use a jailbreak which is "tethered" - every time the device reboots, turns off, runs out of battery etc etc you will need to use a computer with relevant tools to boot the phone back to a working jailbroken state.

I don't use tethered jailbreaks on iPhones only on the iPad, my phone is too important for it to be rendered useless if I don't have a computer to hand.

Could you answer some more questions for me?

1. Do you use jailbreakme for untethered?

2. How can I get back my 4.2.8? I tried the tethered, but I don't like it because I'm putting my phone at risk, and I'm getting sick of hooking my back to the computer. Are there anyway possible to downgrade without having the blobs saved?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
1. No

2. If you haven't saved any previous SHSH's then it's impossible to downgrade. You will only be able to restore to the latest firmware. To restore, connect to iTunes click on your device in the left hand column and get click Restore.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
1. No

2. If you haven't saved any previous SHSH's then it's impossible to downgrade. You will only be able to restore to the latest firmware. To restore, connect to iTunes click on your device in the left hand column and get click Restore.
And if I might be so bold as to add on to John's #2 comment above: there currently isn't an untethered JB for 4.3.5 yet (current firmware) and probably won't be another untethered until the next major firmware update in a month or so.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
Every time you reboot a tethered jailbroken iDevice you need a computer to boot the device i.e Redsn0w's Tethered boot feature.

There is no purpose to a tethered jailbreak, the exploit jailbreaks the device but whether it's tethered or not depends on how good the hacker is :)
More along the lines of where the exploit lies. For example a kernel exploit is able to jailbreak and untether a phone where as the bootrom would not be able to as it depends on where the exploit is in the boot process and what systems are accessible at the time.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
More along the lines of where the exploit lies. For example a kernel exploit is able to jailbreak and untether a phone where as the bootrom would not be able to as it depends on where the exploit is in the boot process and what systems are accessible at the time.
Nice concise explanation. Thanks.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thanks ;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I also think it's not as simple as how good the hacker is. There are a lot of things to consider such as, even though an untether is available, is it worth burning an exploit on a small firmware update? The answer is usually no. They save them for big firmware updates. Sometimes, the boot portion of the jailbreak is a userland exploit (geohot and i0n1c discovered the recent ones), meaning Apple could patch it with a firmware update. Other times, the untether is a bootrom exploit and Apple can't patch it without updating hardware, so an untethered jailbreaks can be more easily be implemented (this was why the jailbreaks on the early model 3GS' were always untethered).

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
I actually was reading up on that on the iPhonewiki last week. I made it a goal to learn a langauge so I can code and eventually attempt hacking the iPhone but have not decided what to learn. I am down to starting with Python or going with assembler to find a new boot rom exploit.