Would getting iPhone 3G now makes me illegible for next iPhone subsidy?

boxta

May 15, 2007
i have 1st gen iPhone.. and i am back and forth on whether to get iPhone3g or not...

i know we are able to get iPhone3g (even as a 1st gen iPhone user) at 199 because the 1st gen iPhone was NOT subsidized

now that iPhone 3g IS subsidized.. if I DO get it, would that mean that in a year, when 3rd gen iPhone comes out, I would NOT be able to buy it with subsidy?

I am still not sure whether iPhone3g is worth the upgrade.... hmmm

thanks

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
At this point, no one knows for sure. Apple & AT&T make up their own rules as long as it's financially advantageous.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I'm pretty sure if you do become illegible for the new phone, they will have an option to "purchase" an early upgrade like it was offered this year.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
i have 1st gen iPhone.. and i am back and forth on whether to get iPhone3g or not...

i know we are able to get iPhone3g (even as a 1st gen iPhone user) at 199 because the 1st gen iPhone was NOT subsidized

now that iPhone 3g IS subsidized.. if I DO get it, would that mean that in a year, when 3rd gen iPhone comes out, I would NOT be able to buy it with subsidy?

I am still not sure whether iPhone3g is worth the upgrade.... hmmm

thanks
don't put all your eggs in a basket. there might not be a new iPhone. you might feel pretty stupid waiting a year for nothing.

MoFunz

Jun 27, 2008
would getting iPhone3g now makes me illegible for next iPhone subsidy?
i don't see how buying a phone can make you impossible to read :D

ineligible on the other hand...who knows. I agree that ATT seems to come up with some twisted rules on occasion.

I hope i didn't offend the OP by correcting him... i just found the usage to be too humorous to pass up.

Jul 19, 2008
hello, I had become upgrade eligible 2 days before 3g came out, I got mime on Monday the 14th, I later checked my AT&T account, and now it says I'm eligible for it again on 7-15-2009, so for me it's only a year before I get another discount..... Not sure if it's because I've been a customer for over 7 years or not, but I'm happy with it. I think the only way to truly know is to just buy the new iPhone and then check your account, then even if you aren't eligible for the subsidy whenever the next iPhone comes out, at least you can play with the 3g until you are! Because waiting for the next iPhone might be a year, might be 2, might be at Christmas, nobody knows, and if you always wait for the next best thing, you miss out on the NOW big thing.