Would iPhone work overseas?

hjeer000

May 7, 2008
Hey guys,

I am traveling to a small country for 3 months called Bahrain and I am wondering if I can use my recently purchased iPhone there?

I have couple of ideas and I would love if you can comment on them based on your experience:

1- Is it possible to jailbreak my1.1.4 iPhone and use it over there and when I come back to the U.S. reset everything back to its original? The point here is that I don't want to loose my iPhone warranty. Also, I don't want ATT and rip me with their expensive rooming charges.

2- If the jailbreak does not work? would I still be able to use my iPhone basically as an ipod touch? just a wifi device and to listen to music? I checked with AT&T on that matter and they were just confused. They told me that I would be charge even if I used a hot spot internet that has nothing to do with AT&T whatsoever. They even told me that I might be charged if I use it as in ipod!

3- is there a way to make sure that when I connet to a wifi, AT&T data plan do not get activated? I don't want to use AT&T plan internationally because of all the horrible bill prices people have been telling.

If you have any suggestion, please help me.

Thank you guys

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hey guys,

I am traveling to a small country for 3 months called Bahrain and I am wondering if I can use my recently purchased iPhone there?

I have couple of ideas and I would love if you can comment on them based on your experience:

1- Is it possible to jailbreak my1.1.4 iPhone and use it over there and when I come back to the U.S. reset everything back to its original? The point here is that I don't want to loose my iPhone warranty. Also, I don't want ATT and rip me with their expensive rooming charges.
yes, it's possible, but you will also need to "Unlock" it to use another carrier (if that's what you're getting at).

2- If the jailbreak does not work? would I still be able to use my iPhone basically as an ipod touch? just a wifi device and to listen to music? I checked with AT&T on that matter and they were just confused. They told me that I would be charge even if I used a hot spot internet that has nothing to do with AT&T whatsoever. They even told me that I might be charged if I use it as in ipod!
you can turn "Data Roaming" off in Preferences, and go even one step further and turn "Airplane mode" on. This will effectively make your iPhone an ipod touch (without wifi). So, if you want to use wifi, you will have to remember to turn airplane mode off.

3- is there a way to make sure that when I connet to a wifi, AT&T data plan do not get activated? I don't want to use AT&T plan internationally because of all the horrible bill prices people have been telling.
yep, that's where the "Data roaming" setting comes in. Just switch it off.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
1. You can restore back to factory settings with no problems. Just choose to restore as a new iPhone, that way all traces of a Jailbreak are removed.
2. You don't need to Jailbreak your phone to use it as an iPod, that is if it's already activated. If you're activated on AT&T then you don't "need" to Jailbreak it but you can if you wish. The only way you're going to be charged for Data is if you enable data roaming. The default setting has Data Roaming disabled so you don't need to worry about accidentally racking up hundreds of dollars in Data bills.
3. If you connect to WiFi, and have Data Roaming OFF, then as long as the WiFi you're trying to use is free, you will NOT be charged.

If you're wanting to use a SIM card from Bahrain then you can Unlock the phone and use the foreign SIM card to make calls while you're over there.

hjeer000

May 7, 2008
Thank you guys,

I guess I am going with the ultimate option: I will unlock/jailbreak my iPhone and get an SIM card from Bahrain. This way I would still be able to brag (lol) about my iPhone. And when I come back I will restore everything as a new phone an pretend like nohting happened.

You guys are the best,

Ciao

hjeer000

May 7, 2008
Hey guys,

Do you recommend any specific program/procedure for unlocking/jailbreaking the iPhone? My iPhone has 1.1.4 version?

I am looking for something easy and does not bring bugs,...etc.

Cheers,
Nancy

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well ZiPhone is pretty much the standard these days. Google it and download the software. You should have a Jailbroken and Unlocked phone in under 5 minutes.