Would it be possible? 3G iPhone on "2G" plan?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I really like the looks of the 3G iPhone, but 1) I don't want to opt for the $30 data plan, 2) I don't want to pay even more for the texts and 3) I don't want to sign up for another 2 years.

So, would it be possible to get a 3G iPhone and NOT change my plan? I don't even have 3G here yet, so it's not like I'd be ripping anyone off.

Thoughts? It wouldn't even have to be unlocked since I'm already an AT&T customer. Ah, but wait, I'd have to activate it....

Hmmm...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, due to businesss, AT&T would likely never offer that, sorry.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If you could get a hold of a 3G iPhone and unlock, then you'd just put your SIM in there and AT&T would never know you had an iPhone. Then you could just sign up for any data plan I would think.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, due to businesss, AT&T would likely never offer that, sorry.
I wouldn't expect AT&T to offer it, but I'm wondering if it could be done. Get the phone, keep my current plan...

Hmmm. If I got an unlocked one it WOULD be possible. That is of course if they don't do activations in-store.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
If you could get a hold of a 3G iPhone and unlock, then you'd just put your SIM in there and AT&T would never know you had an iPhone. Then you could just sign up for any data plan I would think.
I already have the 1st gen iPhone. I just want the 3G iPhone for looks, level headphone jack and GPS, but I have no interest in getting the $30 data plan (plus adding texts) and signing up for two more years when I don't even have 3G here anyway.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I already have the 1st gen iPhone. I just want the 3G iPhone for looks, level headphone jack and GPS, but I have no interest in getting the $30 data plan (plus adding texts) and signing up for two more years when I don't even have 3G here anyway.
Perfect, then if you can get a hold of a 3G version without signing a contract (good luck!) then you just unlock it and stick in your SIM from your first iPhone. Now you've already got the $20 data plan, as far as AT&T is concerned you are still using the V1 iPhone.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Perfect, then if you can get a hold of a 3G version without signing a contract (good luck!) then you just unlock it and stick in your SIM from your first iPhone. Now you've already got the $20 data plan, as far as AT&T is concerned you are still using the V1 iPhone.
I just wonder how easy it will be to get a 3G phone without a contract. Have they decided if they're doing activations in-store?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I just wonder how easy it will be to get a 3G phone without a contract. Have they decided if they're doing activations in-store?
Yes they have and they will. Maybe someone will discover a trick out of it but until we get more details, you're stuck signing the contract. You could always buy and cancel and pay the $175 ETF, if you think that is better than having to pay for a $30 3G plan. I honestly don't think so though since a 3G data plan would give you, you know, 3G internet while the $175 ETF would just be a fat worthless fee.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Yes they have and they will. Maybe someone will discover a trick out of it but until we get more details, you're stuck signing the contract. You could always buy and cancel and pay the $175 ETF, if you think that is better than having to pay for a $30 3G plan. I honestly don't think so though since a 3G data plan would give you, you know, 3G internet while the $175 ETF would just be a fat worthless fee.
Well poopies. I wonder how they are going to do all those activations in-store on the day the iPhone is released.

Thanks for your input. :laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You won't be able to buy one until after you've already signed on the dotted line. No need to unlock it after you've committed.