Would it be wise to get a replacement?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
So ive had my 3g since iDay back in 2008 and because im on 2.2 and i have that coveted 02.28.00 baseband etc (to remain unlocked) i never wanted to send my phone back to Apple after the back of the phone developed cracks. This happened when 2.1 came out and if i replaced the phone then i would have had a 2.1 non unlockable.

Its a white 16gig 3G with numerous cracks around the sim tray, headphone jack, vib switch and there's cracks like sun rays around the camera.

With the 3.0 out and the jailbreak/unlock already out/ coming soon would it be wise to send the phone to Apple or pay them a visit for a replacement?

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Hmm, you might try and get it replaced. I don't know if the cracks would be covered under warranty though.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I'd pitch a fit about the battery life and a few other things too, just to give them a better reason to give you a new one.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Good point, lol my battery doesn't last half a day most of the time.

I wonder if ill even get back a 16gig (they don't make them in 3g anymore). lol, ill take a 3Gs if they'll give me, however i wont beable to get it unlocked/jailbreak anytime soon.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I dunno, sounds like all that is in the works. I'm sure there are some refurb 16GB 3G's laying around still

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
On June 18th, I exchanged my white 16GB 3G because of case cracks. I got the same model in return and it looks as if it could be brand new. So I say go for it.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I say go for it also... I took my 3G to the Apple store yesterday, the battery went low and I could not restore it. They replaced it with one that looked brand new. One the report they wrote bad battery for the reason.

It looks so good, I am second guessing the order I just placed to ATT for a 3GS :laugh2:
Tg

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Since the 3g is only 99.00 now, they probably just want to clean out inventory of them, so it should be easy to replace.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The 16gigs arent $99 only the 8gigs are.

Any update on ultrasn0w or anything regarding the 3.0 SIM unlock? Because if 3.0 cant be unlocked ill just stick with my 2.2 3G.

On a side note, did the Apple store give you any hassle? Like was the "mood" coming off like they didn't want to replace it or was it more along the lines of "hey my phone has cracks and the battery wont hold a full day charge", "oh no worries here's a replacement".

Should i even bother taking the videos off my phone that i recorded through cycorder?

?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Alright so UltraSn0w came out today and its working perfectly. Before i update to 3.0 i have to SSH out my videos from Cycorder. Once thats done, ill restore and update to 3.0 and head to the Apple store sometime soon and replace the phone.

Ill keep ya guys updates.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I spoke over the phone with the Apple Store.

They said that its external damage, even tho i said ive never dropped it (which i haven't). So she asks when did you purchase, i say July 2008... "yeah it wouldn't be cost effective to replace the phone, and external damage isn't covered under warranty". I said so Apple is refusing to replace my phone because they have defects in the construction of the phone? She replies " The damages arent covered under warranty because they are external."

At this point i hung up.

So now wtf do i do?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

They said that its external damage, even tho i said ive never dropped it (which i haven't). So she asks when did you purchase, i say July 2008... "yeah it wouldn't be cost effective to replace the phone, and external damage isn't covered under warranty". I said so Apple is refusing to replace my phone because they have defects in the construction of the phone? She replies " The damages arent covered under warranty because they are external."

At this point i hung up.

So now wtf do i do?
Find something else to state as your main issue with the iPhone that they'll be unable to duplicate easily. You may have a poor battery life, maybe your audio jack cuts in and out sometimes? I would take it into the actual store itself. They're pretty easy going when it comes to replacing the iPhone. My chrome bezel was actually separated from the white plastic back of the iPhone but that wasn't my issue and I never drew attention to it. They replaced it and I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

At this point i hung up.

So now wtf do i do?
That's bulls**t, London! I just had my white 16GB 3G replaced with absolutely no hassle at my local Apple store because of the cracks on the back of the phone. You need to talk to someone else or to a manager. That's crazy.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
That's bulls**t, London! I just had my white 16GB 3G replaced with absolutely no hassle at my local Apple store because of the cracks on the back of the phone. You need to talk to someone else or to a manager. That's crazy.
+1. They'll replace it for the most anally-retentive reasons and damn whatever else might have been wrong with it. Don't let them talk you out of it over the phone. I replaced an iPod touch that had so many scratches on the back that it looked like i had thrown it through a wood-chipper...they replaced it because the gasket between the glass and the steel wasn't covering up all the light.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Same here. I went in today with 1 crack near the dock connector and had my new (refurbished) phone with no hassle whatsoever.

London, I would try going to the store in person, as you might have a bit better luck.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I checked out my warranty info and this is what I get...

Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on 26 July 2009.*

Your product is not eligible for complimentary phone support.

If you believe that this information is inaccurate, learn how to update your coverage status. Please put your sales receipt in a safe place. You will need it for warranty validation.

Do you think I'll be able to call up Apple and ask them for a replacement for the hairline cracks?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Im going over to the store in person today. Lets hope they replace my phone, with a refurb or whatever.

Anything is better than these cracks.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
yes, this is bull****. Just go into the Apple store and say you have an issue with battery life. Also the case is cracking as it was in the defect batch, you shouldnt have a problem. If you do, complain (loudly) and ask to speak to the manager