Would it be worh it?

jadon087

Mar 11, 2008
Well i have been wanting an iPhone and i finally decide im going to break down and buy one. What i am wondering is if i buy a refurb would it be worth saving the extra few bucks or should i just go ahead and purchase a new one?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I am pro and con vs the refurb.. Only reason I am pro is I bought a treo as a refurb and it was great but with the iPhone there is not that much of a price difference so I would swing the extra $50.. If it was $200 cheaper like the treo when I did it then yeah go with refurb... With this device its so sexy just go with a new one and know you are the soul owner .... Enjoy and welcome to EIC

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I am pro and con vs the refurb.. Only reason I am pro is I bought a treo as a refurb and it was great but with the iPhone there is not that much of a price difference so I would swing the extra $50.. If it was $200 cheaper like the treo when I did it then yeah go with refurb... With this device its so sexy just go with a new one and know you are the soul owner .... Enjoy and welcome to EIC

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
When I got a replacement for my iPhone, the guy at the Apple store said that refurbs get completely new cases, screens, and batteries. If that's true, it's as good as new to me, as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, $50 isn't much worth the "gamble"

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
When I got a replacement for my iPhone, the guy at the Apple store said that refurbs get completely new cases, screens, and batteries. If that's true, it's as good as new to me, as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, $50 isn't much worth the "gamble"
Buying a refurb is less of a gamble, at least how I think about it. Apple actually puts them through a quality assurance system, vice just throwing it in a box and sending it.

Sure, my refurb couldve been used for up to 14 days before I got her(based on the return policy), but I haven't had a single problem like a lot of people have with things like dead pixels or overheating. I've also had my phone since august of last year, so 14 days (max, probably light use if they didn't like it) is pretty insignificant in the big scheme.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Buying a refurb is less of a gamble, at least how I think about it. Apple actually puts them through a quality assurance system, vice just throwing it in a box and sending it.

Sure, my refurb couldve been used for up to 14 days before I got her(based on the return policy), but I haven't had a single problem like a lot of people have with things like dead pixels or overheating. I've also had my phone since august of last year, so 14 days (max, probably light use if they didn't like it) is pretty insignificant in the big scheme.
While I generally agree that a refurb will be as good or better than a new one, you should realize that there is the potential that your refurb was used longer than 14 days. I just returned my 5-month-old for a replacement and it still looked absolutely flawless (minus a bad camera sensor). If I were them, I'd just stick a new camera in it and call it refurbed, but apparently it will get a new case, screen, and battery too. But I have no doubt they use those warranty returns as refurbs. These things are expensive to make, even at Apple's level of tech and production.

jadon087

Mar 11, 2008
Yeah i generally prefer refurbs over BNIB because of the testing and changes refurbs go through. Plus i mean the warranty. How would i go about this would i go to my local Apple store and see if they have any or can the only be had online i really want a 16GB as a am a music/media freak.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I also got a refurb when I took my iPhone to replace it. Not to many new 4g's left out there. I have jb and restored so many times now with this phone you would have thought I would run across some problem but I haven't had a single problem with it (hold on a sec, I'm going to find some wood to knock on.....) anyways, yah, refurbs are sometimes even better as long as they look brand new. The only thing is I like the brightness of my old screen better.

jadon087

Mar 11, 2008
I also got a refurb when I took my iPhone to replace it. Not to many new 4g's left out there. I have jb and restored so many times now with this phone you would have thought I would run across some problem but I haven't had a single problem with it (hold on a sec, I'm going to find some wood to knock on.....) anyways, yah, refurbs are sometimes even better as long as they look brand new. The only thing is I like the brightness of my old screen better.
Wells thats good to know plus i mean i know you only save 50 bucks but i guess i can use that to get my case, hopefully they will have some in stock tomorrow i really want a 16gb but considering an 8.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Buy a new one. Trust me when I say this - you will feel so damn sexy when you open that box.

jadon087

Mar 11, 2008
Well you guys were right i gave in and bought a new 16gb today, i and did feel oh so sexy when i opened the box, lol. Whats the first thing i should do now?