Would me.com be worthless if running exchange server?

Theutus

Jul 13, 2008
I'm curious if I run exchange server from work, will I be able to sync my contacts with me.com, or will the two have conflicts?

I've read that you can only do personal or exchange contacts, not both... I'm just curious how these two would work together with calendars/etc.

I'm kind of hoping I can update 1 and it will show on the other, instead of one trumping the other... :eek:

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I'm curious if I run exchange server from work, will I be able to sync my contacts with me.com, or will the two have conflicts?

I've read that you can only do personal or exchange contacts, not both... I'm just curious how these two would work together with calendars/etc.

I'm kind of hoping I can update 1 and it will show on the other, instead of one trumping the other... :eek:
If you share your calendar with your work colleagues, then they will see all your appointments (personal or businesss). However, if you mark all your personal appointments as "Private", then all they will see that there is an appointment, but not the contents of it. That way, they will know you will be unavailable and not schedule a meeting during those times.

Additionally, you can just remove all permissions on your calendar so that no colleagues can see the details of your calendar. Basically, you would not be sharing your calendar at all, in this scenario.

Theutus

Jul 13, 2008
If you share your calendar with your work colleagues, then they will see all your appointments (personal or businesss). However, if you mark all your personal appointments as "Private", then all they will see that there is an appointment, but not the contents of it. That way, they will know you will be unavailable and not schedule a meeting during those times.

Additionally, you can just remove all permissions on your calendar so that no colleagues can see the details of your calendar. Basically, you would not be sharing your calendar at all, in this scenario.
What about contacts? And the relationship between the exchange server and me.com, does anybody know if the two will talk work together?

I don't know if I can sync them all.... Thats what is really keeping me from signing up for a me account.... What really makes me mad is that there isn't any push e-mail for gmail. :oops:

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal

You can in fact do both. The iPhone will keep them separated and the syncing will be independent. I posted about this here.

You get to select what you want to see. For example, each one individually in either mobileme or Exchange, all of mobileme or Exchange, or everything at once. Changes go back to their original sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theutus

Jul 13, 2008
You can in fact do both. The iPhone will keep them separated and the syncing will be independent. I posted about this here.

You get to select what you want to see. For example, each one individually in either mobileme or Exchange, all of mobileme or Exchange, or everything at once. Changes go back to their original sources.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.... :p

BTW: i know it says "you can do this with your contacts too", but did you actually have this working? Or is it an option that should work in theory because the calendar did?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
^ Thank you.

Right now on my phone I have push enabled for:

Mobileme-Mail,Contacts,Calendar,Bookmarks

Exchange-Mail,Contacts,Calendar

It all works fab. Everything maintains it's integrity and can be viewed in various ways. They did a good job!

Theutus

Jul 13, 2008
^ Thank you.

Right now on my phone I have push enabled for:

Mobileme-Mail,Contacts,Calendar,Bookmarks

Exchange-Mail,Contacts,Calendar

It all works fab. Everything maintains it's integrity and can be viewed in various ways. They did a good job!
Well in that case consider me sold on a "me" account. :) Thanks again, i really appreciate you taking the time to break it down for me.... I don't think i have the ability to give "thanks" here yet, but if I did, i'd hit you up with one.