Would the Apple store exchange my scratched phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I've been very careful with my iPhone but it still managed to get scratches on the silver trim and there's a tiny pinhole scratch on the glass. Do you think they'd give me a new phone? If I wasn't happy with any other item I think most stores would allow an exchange, so what about Apple?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I've been very careful with my iPhone but it still managed to get scratches on the silver trim and there's a tiny pinhole scratch on the glass. Do you think they'd give me a new phone? If I wasn't happy with any other item I think most stores would allow an exchange, so what about Apple?
Absolutely not. I don't mean to be harsh, but physical damage to the device that *you* caused, is not grounds for an exchange, by any means. You could always give it a shot, though. :)

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Not bad, you actually got one serious response. This is the dumbest question I've seen on here.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
WOW.

Let's say you bought a shirt a month ago got a coffee stain on it. Would you expect the retailer to exchange it?

Or let's say you bought a car a month ago and drove it into a light pole in the parking lot at work. Should the dealership exchange it for you?

Come on, now. It's such an absurd question that I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I think you're being serious.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
don't mention the scratches. Say the phone has been freezing up for no reason, or your having battery issues. Anything but the scratches.

Yeah, Im telling him to LIE! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Think about it though. Most places will take an item back in exchange for another one if you're unhappy with it. It usually doesn't matter what the reason is. The screen is supposed to be scratch resistant but its not. I've been keeping it in my pocket with nothing in it and it still gets scratched. I think they should at least let me pick up a new one. I can tell them that it freezes up and that'll work for sure but I'm more disappointed that the phone scratches so easy even when I take extremely good care of it.

Just do like I did, put your iPhone in a protective wrapping and put it in a safe then it will not get scratched.

Can we get a poll going on if this is the most stupid question on here. I am undecided between this one and the series of questions that was asked by one the other day titled something to the effect of " I bought an iPhone, need help" and his first question was how to start using it in iTunes? Second one was how do you sync the iPhone?

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
...I think they should at least let me pick up a new one. I can tell them that it freezes up and that'll work for sure...
You lie in order to return a good product, then more than likely ***** about the high price of things.

You have clearly never owned a businesss that sells anything and depend on the sales for a living. It is customers like you that make it so hard to be in businesss. I own a small company and have run into your type before. You get no respect from me.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just do like I did, put your iPhone in a protective wrapping and put it in a safe then it will not get scratched.

Can we get a poll going on if this is the most stupid question on here. I am undecided between this one and the series of questions that was asked by one the other day titled something to the effect of " I bought an iPhone, need help" and his first question was how to start using it in iTunes? Second one was how do you sync the iPhone?

How about a poll of the biggest arsehole on here? I vote for you.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You lie in order to return a good product, then more than likely ***** about the high price of things.

You have clearly never owned a businesss that sells anything and depend on the sales for a living. It is customers like you that make it so hard to be in businesss. I own a small company and have run into your type before. You get no respect from me.

Oh give me a freeking break...............................

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Try to take you car back because someone dinged the door in the parking lot of your local grocer.;)

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Just to save you some time... they typically test out a return before accepting it.

If you can't make it freeze, and they can see that you scratched it up, it's pretty fair to guess that they'll know what you're doing, reset it, prove that it's working, and hand it back to you.

Do you really want to be the customer that cried wolf at your local store, when you may need them to take care of a real wolf in the future?

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just to save you some time... they typically test out a return before accepting it.

If you can't make it freeze, and they can see that you scratched it up, it's pretty fair to guess that they'll know what you're doing, reset it, prove that it's working, and hand it back to you.

Do you really want to be the customer that cried wolf at your local store, when you may need them to take care of a real wolf in the future?

Oh my god. Will you people lighten up. these devices cost Apple 5 bucks in parts. PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

The bottom line is that I am the customer and I'm not happy that a $600 phone which is advertised to have a scratch resistant surface has acquired a scratch under very tender use. I am not happy. I am the customer, and I will get a new phone. Not sure how you treat your customers but I'm glad I don't have to shop at your place of businesss.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Oh my god. Will you people lighten up. these devices cost Apple 5 bucks in parts. PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!
you SERIOUSLY better be kidding me, 5 BUCKS IN PARTS? THE GLASSON THE SCREEN PROBABLY COSTED MORE THAN THAT, on the news they announced that an iPhone costs almost 300 dollars to make! so why don't u take your uneducated self, and go do some research before tryign to bash someone and stick up for somebody who wants to commit FRAUD, the DUMBEST kind of fraud in particular and a type of fraud that will NEVER in a thousand blue moons even work, how could you lie to such a great company, you both, nyc, and original poster, receive my pity. thank you.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
The bottom line is that I am the customer and I'm not happy that a $600 phone which is advertised to have a scratch resistant surface has acquired a scratch under very tender use. I am not happy. I am the customer, and I will get a new phone. Not sure how you treat your customers but I'm glad I don't have to shop at your place of businesss.
yeah well theres other customers who play fair and don't ask for a new phone because they didn't spend the money on their 600 dollar investment to get it a screen protecter, you clearly didn't take care of it if you have scratches on it

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
You missed the point completely.

If you feel that way, then why claim falsely the phone freezes up? Go in and make your case. Your not a satisfied customer and you should be satisfied with the quality of your purchase. My problem is that you feel your claim and your ability to make a compelling argument is so weak that you have to make up a story to get satisfaction.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"how could you lie to such a great company"

OMG, you must have posters of Steve Jobs on your wall. Do you pray to an Apple every night?

Remember you loyalty when your iPhone breaks, you send it back for a replacement and they stick you with a refurb. Or when in five months they come out with iPhone 2 with 3G and your SOL because you were an early adopter. Or when your phone is three days out of warranty, breaks down and they tell you to piss off. Keep praying to the Apple gods sucker.