Would the Apple store exchange my scratched phone?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
The screen is supposed to be scratch resistant but its not.
Do you know what the word "resistent" means?
It means it "resists" scratches. Not that it's "invulnerable" to scratches. Or, "scratch proof".

It's like watches that say "water resistent to X feet" and others that say "water proof".

You claim to keep the phone in your pocket with nothing else. Obviously, you're doing something wrong, somewhere. I keep mine in my pocket with nothing, and have not a single scratch anywhere on the phone. It is absolutely flawless.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
No, they said the screen (glass) was scratch resistant compared to plastic. They never said anything about the rest of the device. But even the screen, you can scratch if you try.

Bring it back if you want. I'd be very surprised if they exchange it for you. If they do, they are only doing to build good will, it's clear you don't have a leg to stand on legally or ethically.

The bottom line is that I am the customer and I'm not happy that a $600 phone which is advertised to have a scratch resistant surface has acquired a scratch under very tender use. I am not happy. I am the customer, and I will get a new phone. Not sure how you treat your customers but I'm glad I don't have to shop at your place of businesss.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
"how could you lie to such a great company"

OMG, you must have posters of Steve Jobs on your wall. Do you pray to an Apple every night?

Remember you loyalty when your iPhone breaks, you send it back for a replacement and they stick you with a refurb. Or when in five months they come out with iPhone 2 with 3G and your SOL because you were an early adopter. Or when your phone is three days out of warranty, breaks down and they tell you to piss off. Keep praying to the Apple gods sucker.
I got mine replaced (for a legitimate reason) and I was sent no refurb.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
The bottom line is that I am the customer and I'm not happy that a $600 phone which is advertised to have a scratch resistant surface has acquired a scratch under very tender use. I am not happy. I am the customer, and I will get a new phone. Not sure how you treat your customers but I'm glad I don't have to shop at your place of businesss.
You will not get a free iPhone because you continue to scratch it.

You will not get a free car because you continue to dent the dent resistant doors.

Scratch resistant in legalese does not equate to scratch proof.

No one advertises scratch proof because some idiot would take a diamond to it and then demand a new one (ok, Rado does, but they really are as close as you can get without being diamond).

The iPhone has a glass surface to protect the LCD screen. This is harder than the typical plastics. Anything harder than this glass will scratch it, anything softer will (typically) not scratch it.

Watch manufacturers have dealt with scratching the clear surface for years. In ascending hardness: Cheap watches use plexiglass. Average watches use glass. And expensive watches use synthetic sapphire crystal.

Most consumer electronics use plexiglass (or plastic equivalents). Apple has improved their scratch resistance (not scratch proof) by using glass.

A high hardness ceramic case/sapphire crystal iPhone would be great, but the cost would be prohibitive. The only place those materials make sense are for items that are meant to last for decades:

http://www.rado.com/100/109/734/121/219/226.asp

And note that's only a 2 year guarantee.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007

OMG, you must have posters of Steve Jobs on your wall. Do you pray to an Apple every night?

Remember you loyalty when your iPhone breaks, you send it back for a replacement and they stick you with a refurb. Or when in five months they come out with iPhone 2 with 3G and your SOL because you were an early adopter. Or when your phone is three days out of warranty, breaks down and they tell you to piss off. Keep praying to the Apple gods sucker.
You would be right, if that happens. But my experience, starting with a Macintosh 512 in 1986, and working through most Macs since, including a Newton and 4 laptops, is that they work, and last, much longer than most manufacturers products. My Mac Plus, circa 1989, and my Newton, still work as good as the day they were produced. I anticipate similar results from my iPhone, my MacBook Pro and my G5. Time will tell, but everyone told me the Newton was too expensive and would break. Last laugh on them.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You would be right, if that happens. But my experience, starting with a Macintosh 512 in 1986, and working through most Macs since, including a Newton and 4 laptops, is that they work, and last, much longer than most manufacturers products. My Mac Plus, circa 1989, and my Newton, still work as good as the day they were produced. I anticipate similar results from my iPhone, my MacBook Pro and my G5. Time will tell, but everyone told me the Newton was too expensive and would break. Last laugh on them.

Cell phones are a completely different animal. They are designed to break after the warranty wears off. Besides, your replacement will most likely come from AT&T, not Apple.

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
By procedure, Apple is currently covering Physical Damage repairs to the iPhone as long as it is not admitted that the physical damage is due to abuse. I crap you not.

/end

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007

someone needs some anger management..... This will help: nyc_rocAMtool

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
The bottom line is that I am the customer and I'm not happy that a $600 phone which is advertised to have a scratch resistant surface has acquired a scratch under very tender use.
LOL.

"...has acquired A scratch..."

The screen is a big piece of glass. GLASS. Glass scratches. I have a small scratch on mine, so guess what...I went out and bought a screen protector so I wouldn't get any more scratches. Do you think they'd sell screen protectors if the glass screen was incapable of being scratched?

This whole situation smacks of buyer's remorse.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Cell phones are a completely different animal. They are designed to break after the warranty wears off. Besides, your replacement will most likely come from AT&T, not Apple.
"Cell phones are a completely different animal." I agree. That's why I purchased an apple-designed iPod with internet and phone, not another cell phone.

"They are designed to to break." Hmmm, okay. I will have to take your word on that, having had my last cell phone for 4 years, and the one before that for 3 years. Oh, the first was a Sony Ericsson and the second a Samsung.

"Replacement from AT&T." Don't know why that would be, since I got this one at Apple...but maybe you are right. Will AT&T design and manufacture it? I don't think so, but if they do, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Just my 2 cents.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"Cell phones are a completely different animal." I agree. That's why I purchased an apple-designed iPod with internet and phone, not another cell phone.

"They are designed to to break." Hmmm, okay. I will have to take your word on that, having had my last cell phone for 4 years, and the one before that for 3 years. Oh, the first was a Sony Ericsson and the second a Samsung.

"Replacement from AT&T." Don't know why that would be, since I got this one at Apple...but maybe you are right. Will AT&T design and manufacture it? I don't think so, but if they do, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Just my 2 cents.

You first smart phone huh? LOL, you'll see.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007

get off our forum if your going to be a pissy little bastard no one wants to hear you badmouthing a company of such high class

we all know what we're getting in to, we just like being a part of new products.. and i don't care when they come out w/ a 2g, because theres nothing more that i would want out of this phone.. its perfect and i know what i'm getting into, i don't even have one yet and even after reading all the bad mouth reviews, i know that in the end, it's just the people that will never be satisfied until they can just sit on their lazy asses, and have every thing brought to them, in perfect manner, exactly how they want it, instead of making sacrifices to have something else great

so SHUT UP

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
get off our forum if your going to be a pissy little bastard no one wants to hear you badmouthing a company of such high class

we all know what we're getting in to, we just like being a part of new products.. and i don't care when they come out w/ a 2g, because theres nothing more that i would want out of this phone.. its perfect and i know what i'm getting into, i don't even have one yet and even after reading all the bad mouth reviews, i know that in the end, it's just the people that will never be satisfied until they can just sit on their lazy asses, and have every thing brought to them, in perfect manner, exactly how they want it, instead of making sacrifices to have something else great

so SHUT UP
Dude, you're nuts. A company of such high class? Put down the cool aid, you've had enough.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You may be right. Just saying that my 20 years experience with Apple products leads me to believe differently.

Hope your wrong, but who knows....
In my experience with Apple products, which as been two Ipods, both broke within a year/year and half of purchase. But thats par for the course usually with technology. And truthfully, i didn't mind because within a year these devices are generally obsolete and you will have a hankering for an upgrade anyway.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
You missed the point completely.

If you feel that way, then why claim falsely the phone freezes up? Go in and make your case. Your not a satisfied customer and you should be satisfied with the quality of your purchase. My problem is that you feel your claim and your ability to make a compelling argument is so weak that you have to make up a story to get satisfaction.

I never implied that I would lie. Someone suggested it. My intentions all along were to go in and complain about the screen getting scratched.