Would you buy this MacBook from Craigslist?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
After crawling through craigslist for a few days I think I have found a MacBook that I can buy, because it's really nice and it suits my needs well.

It's a 2.4GHz, August 2008, MacBook 13', (intel core2duo) with 2GB of ram and 160GB of HDD, with both Windows XP and OS X Leopard on it. Really good condition, no visible blemishes or cracks or such.

$725.

Would you buy it?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is it a unibody with a back lit keyboard?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
No, it's the one that was right before it.
If memory serves me right, the unibodies didn't come until around Christmas

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They came out in mid October, that's when I got mine. Just wanted to make sure your seller had the date right.

If your budget allows it, I'd opt for one of the unibody MacBooks. I paid an extra $300 for the back lit keyboard, and it's well worth it. I would have got a pro, but at the time, they weren't selling them in 13 inch and I hate big laptops.

You can get a new air for $999. You probably won't even miss the cd/dvd drive much, everything is digital now.

What's your budget?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
My budget is about $750.
I don't really need a backlit keyboard, my father has one, and besides being "cool", it's fairly useless.

I know that for this price, I can buy a more powerful Dell machine, but I want and need a mac.

And I think I would miss the drive a bit - I need to record music, and if the computer doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, chances are, there isn't a line in either. And I rather need that.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'd buy it. The early '08 version of MacBook and MacBook Pro are just as good as the late Unibody ones. Just make sure it has a good graphics card because that was the problem they fixed with the release of the Unibody ones. And congratulations in advance.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My budget is about $750.
I don't really need a backlit keyboard, my father has one, and besides being "cool", it's fairly useless. ......
Obviously, you've never tried entering your username and password at startup under less than ideal lighting.

YMMV

PS - I'd feel more comfortable with an Apple refurb over one from craigslist

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you were to buy the mac in question, you could install some more RAM, to my knowledge can't the 2008 one's take 4GB or RAM.... it would be one little power house!

Also- as MrMike6by9 said, why don't you look at some refurbed ones before making your mind up. If your after a 2nd hand one, then at least you know that it's been brought up to a certain standard.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your mac. I love them.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
After crawling through craigslist for a few days I think I have found a MacBook that I can buy, because it's really nice and it suits my needs well.

It's a 2.4GHz, August 2008, MacBook 13', (intel core2duo) with 2GB of ram and 160GB of HDD, with both Windows XP and OS X Leopard on it. Really good condition, no visible blemishes or cracks or such.

$725.

Would you buy it?
Does it come with the software discs for both Windows XP and Leopard? If it doesn't, it will be a pain to get them in case you want to re-install the OS in the future.

And I think I would miss the drive a bit - I need to record music, and if the computer doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, chances are, there isn't a line in either. And I rather need that.
This MacBook definitely have a CD/DVD drive. If the seller is saying it doesn't, run! ;)

I also think you'd be better off with an aluminum unibody MacBook and that you should check Apple's refurb store. Before I got my current MacBook Air, I had one of the plastic MacBooks and grew to hate that creaky, cheap-feeling polycarbonate it's made of. I will never buy another one of those again.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
@k1bgra - no, I didn't get any emails.

My address is nfssupreme@gmail.com

but I do, in fact, need the windows partition.

And while the old, circa 2007/2006 MacBooks (the more round ones) are absolutely horrendous, the MacBooks that came right before the unibody ones actually were fairly nice.

And I don't know how useful the Air would be for me, but you are right - I need to find out whether the seller has the Leopard CD or not.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'd buy it. The early '08 version of MacBook and MacBook Pro are just as good as the late Unibody ones. Just make sure it has a good graphics card because that was the problem they fixed with the release of the Unibody ones. And congratulations in advance.
This is not true. The unibodies are worth more for a reason.
You don't even use Mac's, Tarek.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have tried both and ran the same applications, etc. and there is no evident difference in performance, at least. I am sure there are differences but ones that wouldn't affect one's purchasing decision, I guess. Yeah, the new ones look much better but who cares? If early '08 ones can do everything the new ones can, then it's okay.

PS: I am a MacBook Pro user and Macintosh is my primary OS.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OK, I don't remember you ever posting a screen shot of your Mac, just your Windows system, but maybe I'm wrong. If I am, I'm sorry.

Anyway, it's not all about the processor, RAM, etc. The unibodies are much easier to upgrade, the screen is better, etc. I don't have time to get into all the spec differences right now, I have to get ready for work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, sorry Tarek. I didn't think you had a Mac, but I was wrong. I assumed that you didn't have one because of this screen shot thread that you started, where you posted 2 screen shots of your Windows system but no Mac screen shots even though everyone else started posting Mac screenshots. And also since you said you preferred Windows in that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I remember them saying that the unibody MacBooks were easier to upgrade in the Apple Keynote in October. Removing the screws doesn't have much to do with it, that doesn't take long. It's once you get in there, that the process is easier on a unibody. It's the removing of certain parts to get to other parts that makes it more difficult to upgrade the old ones. I'm not referring to RAM. I'm sure that's easy on both of them.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ok, sorry Tarek. I didn't think you had a Mac, but I was wrong. I assumed that you didn't have one because of this screen shot thread that you started, where you posted 2 screen shots of your Windows system but no Mac screen shots even though everyone else started posting Mac screenshots. And also since you said you preferred Windows in that thread.
I know. Windows was the OS I used most of the time when I was a gamer but now Macintosh is. It's all cool man.

@kb1gra, thanks for the insight because I didn't know that about the new MacBooks. I know that it's really easy to replace a RAM memory in early '08 version MacBooks.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I know. Windows was the OS I used most of the time when I was a gamer but now Macintosh is. It's all cool man.

@kb1gra, thanks for the insight because I didn't know that about the new MacBooks. I know that it's really easy to replace a RAM memory in early '08 version MacBooks.
Tarek - how do you do a screenshot in OS X?

i want to post one :D

oh, by the way, I GOT MY MACBOOK!