Would you prefer a tethered or an untethered iWatch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by richardya, Mar 24, 2013.

1. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

My big question with the Apple Watch is if it will be tethered to the phone or a stand alone device. I don't see most people using the watch as a phone, gaming device, video player or browser . In my opinion it will have two main attributes. The 2nd wont work without your phone nearby.
    1) The designer will make it a really neat looking device that will look attractive
    2) Display "some" information for when you are at the gym, in your car, phone is on desk
    The ancillary uses will be watch apps:
    3)Weather widget, fitness, stock ticker, music

If it is not a stand alone device they only to put a blue tooth antenna in the device and they can save on the Wifi and cellular antenna. They will also not have to deal with carriers, and save battery drainage.

The argument the other way (That it will be stand alone) is that a primary use will be to help you when you don't want to carry your phone, ie when you go on a run.

PS. They will not call it the iWatch, too many iThisiThat jokes.

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

That's a good question. I thought about this before and I really don't want another calling or data plan, so tethered to the phone would be optimal, but still have some functionality as a stand alone device. (Like watch, memo, simple stuff that when the phone gets in range, it would sync and clear from the watch.

Sent using iCafe app

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread title edited.

I'd much rather have a standalone device, which obviously connects to your phone for greater functionailty. Bluetooth would probably be a better idea, as for pushing updates that could probably done OTA via an app on another iDevice.

I'm hoping they include some informative widgets i.e live weather (location info pushed via A-GPS on iPhone etc), that'd be cool. Along with quick access to recent emails and/or texts. Are we thinking Siri's going to play a part here?

Apple may even put a gb or two of space on, which you could use for photostreams and music?

I'm really looking forward to whatever it is that they create. I'm definitely buying one...

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Ipw, do you really want something that small to read text on? I mean, otherwise it's gonna be huge.
    FaceTime on it would be nice, but I can see it being good for a whole lot more.

Sent using iCafe app

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Biometric scanning properties would be nice.

6. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Thanks, that was seriously killing me.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Meh. I don't need gimmicky things like an iWatch or biometric scanning right now. I wish Apple would just focus on adding basic features to iOS, such as in-app texting and settings toggles since we have to wait so long for jailbreaks these days.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That would be a little awkward having a camera strapped to your wrist, surely? You wouldn't be able to see the caller very well? I don't think they're going to make the screen small, I think it's going to be a medium sized watch. Well at least I hope they do.

You're welcome :)

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You mean the most advanced mobile OS doesn't have those basic features? :D (running away) lol ! Just kidding! Hahaha

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hey, I never said it was the most feature-rich phone. Even a monkey could figure that one out.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364206274.754948.jpg

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

:D

14. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I'm thinking Apple will use a new system similar to AirPlay for communication with our iPhones and iPads. They'll claim it offers better battery life than Bluetooth connectivity. Im hoping for a release this year, I'd get it for sure if its in the $100-$200 range.

Sent using iCafe app