Would you return your iPhone for this?

shorn

Mar 2, 2008
I have had my iPhone for just over 1 week and I love it! However there is one small niggle. I have a couple of small scratches around the home button, well actually they look more like chips, but they are under the surface of the screen. I cannot see how they would have got there. I'm considering taking it back to the store for a replacement. Do you think I am within my rights to do this and what kind of reaction do you think I'd get from Apple? (I'm in the UK.) Thanks.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
does not hurt to try but I would suggestion investing in a case such as the tuffwrap by xtreme mac it will cost around $19.99 and comes with a plastic removable shield for the screen

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I would try to return it. The way you described it made it seem almost disgusting.

shorn

Mar 2, 2008
Well tom me it does look very bad, others have said its not that bad, but it is all I can focus on now!

I'm not sure whether they were there when I bought it, and I just missed them cos I was too busy looking at the screen, or whether they have happened somehow since I had it. I could understand if they were surface scratches, but they are definatley under the surface.

shorn

Mar 2, 2008
I have but its difficult to see, I'll try again and post some up later.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I say take it back. It could be a defect on their end. Especially if you haven't dropped it or anything and it doesn't look like theres any physical damage to your phone. The Genius bar is great when it comes to customer service. But I'm here in California. I hope it's the same for you in the UK.

shorn

Mar 2, 2008
just though I'd give a quick update. Called my local Apple store today and got booked in for the genius bar. Took the phone in and explained and showed them the problem. They offered a straight swap for a new one, partly because it was within 14 days of purchase. They backed up the phone on a MacBook connected a new one, I put in my details and restored the phone with my settings. Overall I'm really happy, its even more apparent to me now the extent of the chips after having a new one.
Top marks Apple!